Communists vs. Catholics, Lecture Sunday 4/5, 2 PM

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2009
      The Slovak Studies Program, University of Pittsburgh, invites you to our annual Thomas Kukucka Memorial Lecture. The flier (if anyone would like to print it and post it in your parish or elsewhere) and map are here:

      <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/currentinfo/currentinfo.html>

      Martin

      x x x

      Lecture info -- free admission, refreshments will be served:

      Prof. James Ramon Felak

      The Struggle for the Soul of Slovakia after World War II:
      Communists versus Catholics, 1945 to 1948

      Sunday, April 5, 2009, 2:00 PM
      1500 Posvar Hall, Pitt Campus, Oakland

      James Ramon Felak, Associate Professor of History, has taught at the University of Washington since 1989. He specializes in issues connected with nationalism, communism, and religion, and is the author of two books, one on Slovak nationalism in the 1930s, and one on the relationship between Catholics and Communists in Slovakia in the aftermath of the Second World War. He is the winner of two book awards and a number of scholarly grants, and he is past president of the Slovak Studies Association. He is from Monessen, Pennsylvania, and is married with four children.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2009
        Already posted on our SASW website, Martin < http://www.dcslovaks.org/index.php?item=otherevents >.

        >>> "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...> 3/24/2009 11:45 AM >>>
        The Slovak Studies Program, University of Pittsburgh, invites you to our annual Thomas Kukucka Memorial Lecture. The flier (if anyone would like to print it and post it in your parish or elsewhere) and map are here:

        <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/currentinfo/currentinfo.html>

        Martin

        x x x

        Lecture info -- free admission, refreshments will be served:

        Prof. James Ramon Felak

        The Struggle for the Soul of Slovakia after World War II:
        Communists versus Catholics, 1945 to 1948

        Sunday, April 5, 2009, 2:00 PM
        1500 Posvar Hall, Pitt Campus, Oakland

        James Ramon Felak, Associate Professor of History, has taught at the University of Washington since 1989. He specializes in issues connected with nationalism, communism, and religion, and is the author of two books, one on Slovak nationalism in the 1930s, and one on the relationship between Catholics and Communists in Slovakia in the aftermath of the Second World War. He is the winner of two book awards and a number of scholarly grants, and he is past president of the Slovak Studies Association. He is from Monessen, Pennsylvania, and is married with four children.
      • Dennis Ragan
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2 8:04 PM
          Wanted to remind Pittsburgh-area Slovak World members about the Thomas Kukucka lecture at the Univ. of Pittsburgh this Sunday, April 5, that Martin posted information on previously. This is always a very nice, informative event. There's also the opportunity to socialize afterward, with light refreshments available. It's free, as is parking at the meters on Sundays in Pittsburgh. Starts at 2. Usually lasts less than an hour. Hope some of you will be there.
          Dennis