Re: [Slovak-World] Passenger List

  • Paul Wolsko
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 9, 2009
      Cyrillic-phonetic for Czech (TCH).

      Paul

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Dennis and Donna
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 8:24 PM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Passenger List

      Hello Group!

      Thanks to all with the help seeking a Genealogist/Researcher. Your thoughts are highlt regarded.

      I have a Passenger list of whom I believe to be my G-Grandfather's Sister.

      On line #3 she is listed as coming from Kibral,which could be Kiblary.

      Or Kobler,Austria-Hungary.

      Any way I have never seen Czecho-Slovakia as being TCH.Slovak.

      Only Hungary or Czechoslovakia. What is TCH?

      I posted the Passenger list in the files section under Bumbakova.

      Any help here?

      Laskavy Prosim,

      Dennis

    • Nick Holcz
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 9, 2009

        >Any way I have never seen Czecho-Slovakia as being TCH.Slovak.
        >
        >Only Hungary or Czechoslovakia. What is TCH?

        Maybe from the German Tchekoslovakia

        Laskavy Prosim

        Nick
      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 9, 2009
          Go Nick!!!! You are tight, and I got here late :-)
          Ben

          >Any way I have never seen Czecho-Slovakia as being TCH.Slovak.
          >
          >Only Hungary or Czechoslovakia. What is TCH?

          Maybe from the German Tchekoslovakia

          Laskavy Prosim

          Nick

        • Ron Matviyak
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 9, 2009
            An important point - the Germans spelled it Tschekoslowakei or Tschechoslowakei. I am accustomed to seeing the latter.

            On the side, today you will NOT hear them shorten Czech Republic to Tschechei, as that carries stigma from use during WW II. As soon as I wrote that I checked the internet, and it IS readily in use! So I can say some of the Germans I know are extremely reluctant to use the term.

            Historically, "Tschechien as well as Tschechei was used. Tschechien is the older form"

            That quotation is taken from the internet with English replacing the German explanation.

            Ron
            PS It is best not to get confused or caught up in the German tongue-twister for Chechnya - Tschetschenien

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

            > Go Nick!!!! You are tight, and I got here late :-)
            > Ben

          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 10, 2009
              Thank you all for not making fun of me.... :-)
              Nick is right, not TIGHT. (Well, maybe- I don't personally know.  Never been to the pub with ya, mate! I hope you would also pay a round or two...)

              Thank you Ron, you are informative as always. What was the stigma?
              Ben

              An important point - the Germans spelled it Tschekoslowakei or Tschechoslowakei. I am accustomed to seeing the latter.

              On the side, today you will NOT hear them shorten Czech Republic to Tschechei, as that carries stigma from use during WW II. As soon as I wrote that I checked the internet, and it IS readily in use! So I can say some of the Germans I know are extremely reluctant to use the term.

              Historically, "Tschechien as well as Tschechei was used. Tschechien is the older form"

              That quotation is taken from the internet with English replacing the German explanation.

              Ron
              PS It is best not to get confused or caught up in the German tongue-twister for Chechnya - Tschetschenien

              --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@. ..> wrote:

              > Go Nick!!!! You are tight, and I got here late :-)
              > Ben

            • Ben Sorensen

                An important point - the Germans spelled it Tschekoslowakei or Tschechoslowakei. I am accustomed to seeing the latter.

                On the side, today you will NOT hear them shorten Czech Republic to Tschechei, as that carries stigma from use during WW II. As soon as I wrote that I checked the internet, and it IS readily in use! So I can say some of the Germans I know are extremely reluctant to use the term.

                Historically, "Tschechien as well as Tschechei was used. Tschechien is the older form"

                That quotation is taken from the internet with English replacing the German explanation.

                Ron
                PS It is best not to get confused or caught up in the German tongue-twister for Chechnya - Tschetschenien

                --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@. ..> wrote:

                > Go Nick!!!! You are tight, and I got here late :-)
                > Ben

              • Nick Holcz
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 10, 2009
                  Ben, no worries mate, it will be my shout when we go to the pub
                  together. In case that confuses you all my round. I knew I wasn't
                  tight but I wasn't sure if i was right either.

                  Laskavy Prosim

                  Nick
                • Ben Sorensen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 10, 2009
                    Oh, at least once it will be my shout too! Cheers for that, anyways! Ta!
                    Ben

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 10, 2009
                      "What was the stigma?" Ohh ... I thought that was obvious. In WW II it was evidently their common name for the Protectorate Bohmen-Mahren under hitler. There were several German words I learned from US veterans of WW II that were completely out of style in Germany. They changed their language and abandoned words and phrases that were too closely associated with the nazis.

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                      > Thank you all for not making fun of me.... :-)
                      > Nick is right, not TIGHT. (Well, maybe- I don't personally know. Never been to the pub with ya, mate! I hope you would also pay a round or two...)
                      >
                      > Thank you Ron, you are informative as always. What was the stigma?
                      > Ben

                    • Dennis and Donna
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 10, 2009
                        Nick,

                        Thanks for the info! I am never sorry I visit this site. This time
                        though I will stop at post #3.

                        I have my answer. Too many WILD and CRAZ-ZY GUYS!

                        Laskavy Prosim,

                        Dennis