Slovakia's economy

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2009
      > I got a jolt when I saw it.

      A current analysis of post-communist economies by the British weekly The Economist says that Poland and the Czech R. are all right and that:

      "Slovakia is in better shape still: it managed to join the euro zone this year. Like Slovenia, which joined two years ago, Slovakia can enjoy the full protection of rich Europe's currency union, rather than just the indirect benefit of being due to join it some day."
      [...]

      The article goes on to talk about a dire situation in many countries, but not quite as bad in others including Slovakia:

      "At the other extreme lie countries such as Slovakia. They attracted billions from foreign car manufacturers, drawn by a skilled workforce, low taxes and decent roads in the heart of high-cost Europe.

      Countries that relied chiefly on foreign direct investment are the least vulnerable now. The new factories may shut down. But it is harder for that capital to flee."

      The Economist includes a table:

      <http://media.economist.com/images/chart/CFB039.gif>

      Martin
    • cvargacvarga
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2009
        I was in Slovakia in Jan/Feb. and things could be better but everything still seems to be moving ahead. Going on to the Euro and keeping a conservative economic plan have really paid off.

        Colin

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...> wrote:

        > > I got a jolt when I saw it.
        >
        > A current analysis of post-communist economies by the British weekly The Economist says that Poland and the Czech R. are all right and that:
        >
        > "Slovakia is in better shape still: it managed to join the euro zone this year. Like Slovenia, which joined two years ago, Slovakia can enjoy the full protection of rich Europe's currency union, rather than just the indirect benefit of being due to join it some day."
        > [...]
        >
        > The article goes on to talk about a dire situation in many countries, but not quite as bad in others including Slovakia:
        >
        > "At the other extreme lie countries such as Slovakia. They attracted billions from foreign car manufacturers, drawn by a skilled workforce, low taxes and decent roads in the heart of high-cost Europe.
        >
        > Countries that relied chiefly on foreign direct investment are the least vulnerable now. The new factories may shut down. But it is harder for that capital to flee."
        >
        > The Economist includes a table:
        >
        > <http://media.economist.com/images/chart/CFB039.gif>
        >

        > Martin

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2009
          Flooding potential in Slovakia
          http://www.tasr.sk/30.axd?k=20090306TBB00153

        • Ben Sorensen
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2009
            Wonderful article!
            I just spoke to my mother-in-law, and everything we have covered is now getting significant airtime on Slovak news... and they are too shocked by the cheap buys in Poland and the Czech Republic.  In fact, when I mentioned Nowy Targ (and said that I still love the outdoor eateries there...) she said, "WHY BOTHER going there? We can go anywhere in Poland now and get good deals... did you know that cars are cheaper......"

            Now, for me, THAT is an indicator of the falling zloty. :-)

            Oh, and as far as how many other "oop's" I made on thursday.... I stopped counting. :-) I get another go at it today... expecting same result.... :-P
            Ben

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 11, 2009
              I saw this article.  I should have known Martin would mention it.

              Sly devil.

              I was in Slovakia in Jan/Feb. and things could be better but everything still seems to be moving ahead. Going on to the Euro and keeping a conservative economic plan have really paid off.

              Colin

              --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@.. .> wrote:

              > > I got a jolt when I saw it.

              > A current analysis of post-communist economies by the British weekly The Economist says that Poland and the Czech R. are all right and that:

              > "Slovakia is in better shape still: it managed to join the euro zone this year. Like Slovenia, which joined two years ago, Slovakia can enjoy the full protection of rich Europe's currency union, rather than just the indirect benefit of being due to join it some day."

              > [...]

              > The article goes on to talk about a dire situation in many countries, but not quite as bad in others including Slovakia:

              > "At the other extreme lie countries such as Slovakia. They attracted billions from foreign car manufacturers, drawn by a skilled workforce, low taxes and decent roads in the heart of high-cost Europe.

              > Countries that relied chiefly on foreign direct investment are the least vulnerable now. The new factories may shut down. But it is harder for that capital to flee."

              > The Economist includes a table:

              > <http://media. economist. com/images/ chart/CFB039. gif>

              > Martin

            • Gregory J Kopchak
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 12, 2009
                As someone who does a lot of business in Eastern Europe,
                things a screwed up a lot more than most people realize.

                Hungary and Ukraine on on the the border of disaster
                and Slovakia and Czech republic may not be far behind.

                Greg

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, LongJohn Wayne <daxthewarrior@...> wrote:

                > I saw this article.  I should have known Martin would mention it.
                >
                > Sly devil.

              • Ben Sorensen
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 12, 2009
                  Hi Greg,
                  In what way? The Slovak economy is also feeling the pangs of the recession as well as trying to rebound from January's setbacks, but as I speak to family and friends- all of whom work and live in Slovakia- I find the situation mirrors the American condition.  What puts them on the brink of disaster any more than the rest of us?

                  Ben