Slovak Books or Electroic Books

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
      I will be havig four visitors here this year, one a retired teacher and an avid reader.

      Is there a source here for slovak language books and/or electronic books?? I will be setting up a flat screen TV for Markiza and TA3 and of course the Radio for the Sunday Slovak programs :0)

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
          Martin,
          Prepacte, ja som zapomiel. The reason is that I gave the info to My housemate Dr. Miroslav Vytrisal. Now that his mom will be comming for sure, (in June), he got excited and asked again.

          His excuse, just now, is that it's my job to remember, his job to heal people. Uh......,well......O'k....., I guess????

          Thax agai,

          Vilo

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
            Speaking of electronic books- has anyone here invested in a Kindle? (I can't bring myself to do it... I like having leaves and bindings in my hands.)  I thought that this was interesting- and I am declaring fair use to avoid copyright infringement :-)

            At Amazon, we've always been obsessed with having every book ever printed, and we know that even the best reading device would be useless without a massive selection of books. Today, the Kindle Store has more than 240,000 books available, plus top newspapers, magazines, and blogs. This is just the beginning. Our vision is to have every book ever printed, in any language, all available in under 60 seconds on Kindle. We won't stop until we get there.
            - Amazon.com

            If they actually get to where they have every book ever printed, that will be AMAZING! I wonder if they have _Misopogon_ by Julian the Apostate on there yet.....
            Ben

            ____________ _________ _________ __
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
              If they do this, it'll be a larger collection than that of the Library of Congress, which DOESN'T have every book ever published (contrary to urban myth). On the other hand, do they really WANT to have every book ever published?????????? Just because something's been published doesn't mean that it's good, or accurate, or even useful. But, as my dad used to say (with a thick Slovak accent): "free country": we get to decide for ourselves.

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
                All things considered, it is quite a venture, and I bet they are about to bite off more than they can chew...  I would love to see them get illuminated texts on that thing... :-P Oh, wait... those were hand done. I wonder if they count THOSE as "published?"

                I just noticed it (as my line of work keeps me on top of all of this useless techy nonsense!) and thought that as we have the only good "philes" here (bibliophiles!) I would bring it to your attention.

                Ben

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
                  I've taken note of the new Kindle. It reminds me of what Captain Piccard (quick, name that show!) used to use. I, too, like the feel of a book, although there are times (like, on the metro) when the Kindle would be easier to handle, especially when I have to stand.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
                    The new one also reads the books to you- just to reach a higher point of laziness. :-) If only I had more disposable income....
                    I have always said that for all the bad the internet and computers have brought- there is alot of good- and the main one is probably higher literacy rates!

                    I wonder if there are any corresponding stats... :-)
                    Ben

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
                      I suspect this transition to electronic books will be a generational phenomenon. For me, reading a book or a newspaper from a computer or electronic device is fine for a while, but there are advantages to the paper device that electronics cannot match. I also like the portability of the paper issue, no worry about batteries running low, and even occasionally being able to travel and tear the book apart and leave parts behind as they are read.

                      Now the young adult generation seems repelled by paper books, newspapers and any magazines that do not tell the latest rock gossip. That is where electronic books may pick up a solid following. We live in interesting times!

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
                        I actually saw a figure recently that was connected with the Kindle, but can't remember where it was. I think that it had to do with the average number of books read by Kindle owners vs. non-Kindle owners. The former's number was higher, but I can't remember by how much.

                        I've started using recorded books myself lately, but just to supplement my usual reading. I listen to them while doing needlework (the simpler stuff), or ironing, or weeding. It's one way of "reading" books I might otherwise never get to.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
                          Unfortunately the new Kindle does not have recorded books. It uses an optical character recognition program to read any English language text aloud. This produces a boring, expressionless, somewhat electronic voice that sometimes reads in error. It will drive you crazy in about three minutes.

                          CB