Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovaks shop Poland, Poles ski Poland

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4 4:31 AM
      I wonder, though, how much of the drop in tourism in the Tatras (that the article points to as another showcase of how the zlota has dropped... for those who didn't read it) is really from the price gouging that has been steadily rising there.  I remember in 2002-2004, I was always going there with friends- the skiing/hiking was great and services were affordable for Slovak wages.
      2005- things began to get a bit on the expensive side, and from there, prices seemed to just shoot up! (It was good for me, I performed at least once a month in Stary Smokovec- and I watched my services increase too!)

      The same was at AquaCity....(which isn't in the article.)  It opened and was pretty expensive- then for a short while the entrance fees dropped for Poprad residents (I was a Hozelec resident- so no good for me!) but last year, that was gone. The prices were really high, and I can only imagine with the onset of the Euro.

      It just seems to me that these things were already inflating in price before the collapse of the zlota and the rise of the Euro in Slovakia.  The car sales are a good indicator, though.

      As Slovaks are probably the most frugal shoppers and will go out of thier way to find the best deals- even out of the country- could this flow of currency out of the country not have an adverse effect on the Slovak economy? Couldn't this also again LOWER the wages of working Slovaks in a market that is trying to compete with cheaper surrounding countries?

      Ben

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4 6:15 AM
        > 2005- things began to get a bit on the expensive side

        Judging from online discussions, Slovaks have been opting for the Alps in increasing numbers for about a decade now. The posts say over and over again that the somewhat higher price is worth it given the services and skiing they find there.

        > zlota

        zloty

        > Couldn't this also again LOWER the wages of working Slovaks
        > in a market that is trying to compete with cheaper
        > surrounding countries?

      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4 6:25 AM
          oops- oops- and oops.  Sorry!
          :-P I have been to the Alps, but never with skis on. Nonetheless, I could see their point.

          Is there a projected average income (or incomes) for Slovaks now that the euro has landed? Interesting to see how they compare to others in the Eurozone- especially with others holding the same jobs!  I know that my income was high for Slovak teachers, but LOW when compared to the Eurozone. Would love to see the "new" tables.
          Ben

          > 2005- things began to get a bit on the expensive side

          Judging from online discussions, Slovaks have been opting for the Alps in increasing numbers for about a decade now. The posts say over and over again that the somewhat higher price is worth it given the services and skiing they find there.

          > zlota

          zloty

          > Couldn't this also again LOWER the wages of working Slovaks
          > in a market that is trying to compete with cheaper
          > surrounding countries?

          <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Slovak- World/message/ 25684>

        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4 6:49 AM
            > Is there a projected average income (or incomes) for Slovaks
            > now that the euro has landed?

            The way to do it has been to take what's available and recalculate it. There are tons of online currency calculators. Or to go to the Eurostat databases, they've used the euro for their data for close to two decades now.