Re: [Slovak-World] Z~abi rok

    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 3 8:07 AM
      Have you tried Konstantin C~ulen's book _Dejiny Slovákov v Amerike_, or
      the English translation _History of Slovaks in America_, published in
      2007 and available for purchase at <
      http://www.cgsi.org/store.asp?p=453054439 >?

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 3/3/2009 10:04 AM >>>
      This seem to be the case for many books on the subject. I have
      _Slovenske priekopnici v Amerike_, or Slovak Pioneers in America, and I
      get the same feeling from that book. It seems to be a bunch of entries
      of people that you never hear of- interesting- but doesn't hit home. Of
      course, I have yet to really read it- same reason. If I found someone's
      ancestor listed in it, then that would be different....
      Ben

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 9:58 AM

      Let me check with a friend who was less than fully enthusiastic (he's
      originally from P-burgh himself).

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/27/2009 9:47 AM >>>
      And _Slovak Pittsburgh_ by Lisa Alzo. I am not sure about how well it
      is written (have just glanced at excerpts at Amazon) but it follows our
      "suggested reading" idea. :-)
      Ben

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 11:49 AM

      Define your parameters.

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/26/2009 9:04 AM >>>
      So is it a good book?
      I know, read it myself and find out.... :-(
      I found an excerpt from Dzin:
      http://www.litcentr um.sk/40003
      It gave me an idea of what to expect from Zabi rok, style-wise. It
      seems really down-to-earth, very colloquial, and yet... good. I have to
      admit, when I started, I feared that the excerpt would read like a
      Jeffery Archer novel.

      I think we should put together a "reading list" of good books- in
      English and Slovak. we could post and then put it together and save it
      as a file to the groupsite. Any bites????
      Ben
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 4 9:36 AM
        So Helen, what would be a good suggestion for a book about Slovak history in
        US. Is Z~abi rok an author, a title of a book or what?

        I am flying to Phoenix tomorrow so may not be online for the next week, not on that much anyway. I will visit my son and d.i.l. She is Slovenian, lots of those in Cleveland area, huh? We will see one of the Cleveland Indians games. Whatever we do, it will be in the 70's and it has been soooo cold around here this winter, I cannot wait!