Re: [Slovak-World] Z~abi rok

    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 3, 2009
      Ben,
      Here's what my friend had to say:

      "Well, I would say that its an interesting book but it really has limited text and it is not a historial account of the history of Slovaks in Pittsburgh, as the title might lead one to expect. It is mostly a collection of photographs contributed by a number of people. While they are somewhat interesting in their own right, a lot of it is like looking at someone else's photo album--kind of interesting--but kind of hard to really relate to. While the photos and accompanying text are organized into thematic chapters, the material doesn't give a comprehensive or thorough account of the history of Slovak immigrants in Pitttsburgh.... The
      book is a modest contribution, clearly well-intended, and Lisa should get credit for having the ambition to put it together."

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 3/2/2009 12:36 PM >>>
      Helen,
      Did your friend ever give you a verdict? I find, as I look through Slovak-based English liturature (exempting translations), the book availible right now are filled with speculations prsented as fact and portraying a Slovakia that the writer wants to exist, rather than the Slovakia that is there. Even Lonely Planet is guilty of this sometimes...

      Ben

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 9:36 AM

      Let's not drag Plato into this (he gave me enough trouble in college).

      You've answered my question exactly, but I wonder how helpful books in Slovak will be to those in the group (many, I think) that don't read Slovak. Still, it couldn't hurt to come up with a list. Shall we start with _Out of This Furnace_ by Thomas Bell (Belejcak)?

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/27/2009 8:05 AM >>>
      Which parameters?? ? What defines good? I will look to Plato and get back to you on that... As far as a reading list, it should be-for the sake of our group- in Slovak, by a Slovak author, or Slovak related (of course.) I don't think we should list translations of Danielle Steele to Slovak, though-- unless you want to see how they improve the quality of the writing as well as translate. (I find that our kitsch writers are MUCH better in Slovak. Also Kevin Costner becomes a much better actor w/ Slovak dubbing....)

      Right now I am leaning towards Louis Armstrong's definition of good: "If it sounds good, it is good."

      Ben

      From: Martin Votruba <votrubam@yahoo. com>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Z~abi rok
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 11:44 AM

      > The Slovak that I glanced at looked do-able

      Quite contrary to the intro (note that V.H. is unable to say anything
      about the book that's his own observation -- he clearly didn't read it
      or thought it poor -- the only "praise" of his own he can come up with
      is that the author's parents were Czech and that their son was fluent
      in both languages), much of the language is middle-of-the road
      descriptive- conversational, the opposite of colorful and evocative.
      Good for students.

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 3, 2009
        This seem to be the case for many books on the subject.  I have _Slovenske priekopnici v Amerike_, or Slovak Pioneers in America, and I get the same feeling from that book.  It seems to be a bunch of entries of people that you never hear of- interesting- but doesn't hit home. Of course, I have yet to really read it- same reason. If I found someone's ancestor listed in it, then that would be different....
        Ben

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 3, 2009
          Have you tried Konstantin C~ulen's book _Dejiny Slovákov v Amerike_, or
          the English translation _History of Slovaks in America_, published in
          2007 and available for purchase at <
          http://www.cgsi.org/store.asp?p=453054439 >?

        • Eve Smith
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 4, 2009
            So Helen, what would be a good suggestion for a book about Slovak history in
            US. Is Z~abi rok an author, a title of a book or what?

            I am flying to Phoenix tomorrow so may not be online for the next week, not on that much anyway. I will visit my son and d.i.l. She is Slovenian, lots of those in Cleveland area, huh? We will see one of the Cleveland Indians games. Whatever we do, it will be in the 70's and it has been soooo cold around here this winter, I cannot wait!