"Majer" Photos Posted

  • ssultonia
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2009
      I just posted 3 photos relating to an earlier posting I had made asking about the meaning of
      "Majer". Two photos were taken in 1971 and one on my visit to Jablonov (formerly Almas) in
      Spis in 2008. When I met with the Mayor he told me they were Church property and most of
      them had been demolished around 1987 as they were falling down. The 2008 color photo is
      #2 Almas and that is the house that was recorded as the birthplace of my grandfather. There
      is still someone living there today. When I walked around the building to the left there was
      an old lady sitting on the stoop at the back of the house. When going through the LDS
      records #2 kept appearing over and over again for many surnames. I always wondered how
      so many people could be born in the same house. It must have been that each building had
      a number and as you can see they are each a long series of row houses. The village office
      didn't have a scanner but my friend promised to take his to the office one day and scan the
      photos for me. I am glad to have "before and after" photos. From my visits in 2006 and
      2008 I can recognize the location. The Church is just on a hill behind this group of "Majer".
      In the color photo it would be to the left and high up on a hill. These pics will make an
      interesting addition to my web site. Perhaps someone could help with the Slovak
      handwriting at the top of each photo? If you choose "large" view the notations are easy to
      read. Thanks! R/Bill