Z~abi rock

  • Eve Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2009
      I am very interested in a reading list. I am a voracious reader, spent the winter reading all of Les Roberts mysteries about Cleveland where I live. I do not, however, read Slovak.

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
        > I am very interested in a reading list.

        Here's a partial list of what's been translated, Eve, click on "Slovak
        literature in English." The titles are followed by links to
        publication details and libraries that have the translations:

        <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/sstopics/sstopics.html>

        Martin
      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 30, 2011
          > Are any of the 35 books

          Yes, Lou. You'd need to recall the authors and titles inside the books you refer to, though, in order to see that: not volumes, but writers and their individual novels, poems, and short stories are listed and linked on the Slovak Studies Program's Slovak Literature webpage.

          It's also necessary to understand that "literature" as used on that page means that only about 7 of the "35" qualify (fiction and poetry), and that not all translations that have been published are listed on the Slovak Studies Program's Slovak Literature page, merely a wide-ranging selection across the centuries. The webpage works as a brief overview of the history of Slovak literature for those interested in finding out more about/experiencing all of it or its characteristic periods, not as publishers' catalogs:

          <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/sstopics/slovakliteratureinenglish.html>

          You may compare it to the Slovak Studies Program's Slovak Film webpage(s):

          <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/sstopics/slovakfilmsinhillmandecades.html>

          BTW, have you lost my e-mail address recently, Lou? It's linked on that webpage if you did. I rarely see all the posts to SK-W, this is where I read it (not among my e-mail) and happened to notice yours:

          ... so you might not see a response to your private-public query from me here in the future.