Re: [Slovak-World] [Sound of crickets]

    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 2 12:38 PM
      Aj mate maleho huncuta, nie?

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 2/2/2009 1:57 PM >>>
      :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
      Doma mame krasku a potvoru. Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
      Ben

      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 2 2:13 PM
        Julie,

        That's funny--I didn't learn the Slovak for please or thank you either
        until I visited there (in '97). On an earlier trip my mother did all
        the talking, as usual, that's why I never learned to speak Slovak--ale
        rozumiem Slovensky. I still have trouble pronouncing thank you in
        Slovak. I think it's easier in Czech!

        A childhood memory I have is my mother calling my cat a potvora.
        Julia M.

        On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Julie Michutka wrote:

        > *sigh* My dad's sisters were 'way older than he, and he grew up with a
        > bunch of brothers. I didn't learn Slovak for "please" and "thank you"
        > until I went to Slovakia, but I knew these other phrases that I simply
        > could not use....

      • Nick Holcz
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 2 4:26 PM
          Superbowl? Gridiron?

          Laskavy Prosim

          Nick
        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 3 5:17 PM
            Niekedy budes~ plakat za tych slovic~ky. Ja vc~il nemam takovy Krasku a sedim v slzach veliky.

            snif snif.....

            Vilko

            ________________________________
            :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!?? ?
            Doma mame krasku a potvoru. Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
            Ben

            < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly bastard".

            >>> Julie Michutka <jmm@pathbridge. net> 2/2/2009 1:46 PM >>>

            On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
            > S~karade Potvora

            Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
            what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
            it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
            order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
            three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@pathbridge. net

          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 3 10:34 PM
              Pre boha, nebud smutny. :-) len rozmyslaj, aky si stastny....
              aspon ta JA lubim, Vilko!!!!!
              Ben