Folksongs.

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2 11:44 AM
      I was going to add something to this post, but I just can't recall.....

      I was playing some fujara today-like I do almost everytime I get the chance- and I wanted to ask people if they had any favorite Slovak folksongs?  My personal favorite is "cierny havran- vodu pije," or "Zajali, zajali..." Both of these originate in the Zvolenska Slatina/Ocova/Zolna area, and the best singer of these songs was Dorota Hraskova. I don't know if she is still alive or not....

      I am bored today, so I think I will learn the history of the "Pennsylvania Polka..."
      Ben

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2 1:22 PM
        "Ket ja pujdzem orac" ("Ked' ja pojdem orat'"), recorded by S~aris~an.

        "A poniz~ej Temes~varu".

        >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 2/2/2009 2:44 PM >>>
        I was going to add something to this post, but I just can't recall.....

        I was playing some fujara today-like I do almost everytime I get the chance- and I wanted to ask people if they had any favorite Slovak folksongs? My personal favorite is "cierny havran- vodu pije," or "Zajali, zajali..." Both of these originate in the Zvolenska Slatina/Ocova/Zolna area, and the best singer of these songs was Dorota Hraskova. I don't know if she is still alive or not....

        I am bored today, so I think I will learn the history of the "Pennsylvania Polka..."
        Ben

        For whatever reason, "draw a blank" is a good equivalent too in many
        contexts, etc.

        > potvora

        It's relatively mild now, becoming somewhat old fashioned, can be even
        endearing. "Mis-creant" (po-tvora) is the core, historical meaning.
        You cannot offend anyone seriously by calling him "potovra skareda"
        today, it wouldn't be the phrase someone would choose to truly offend.

        > remember the words in the reverse order, "potvora s~kareda"

        The attribute (adjective) is often placed after the noun in expressive
        statements:

        moja mama --> Mama moja!
        Somar sprosty!
        Decko neporiadne!

        A well-known sonnet by Andrej Sladkovic begins, _Marina moja, teda tak
        sme my..._ "Marina mine, so that's were we are/that's the way it is
        with us..."

      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2 1:46 PM

          Mine will always be Tancju Tancju -- might take me the rest of my life to get the words down, but I make them up as I go when I can't figure the correct ones out.

          Caye

          For whatever reason, "draw a blank" is a good equivalent too in many
          contexts, etc.

          > potvora

          It's relatively mild now, becoming somewhat old fashioned, can be even
          endearing. "Mis-creant" (po-tvora) is the core, historical meaning.
          You cannot offend anyone seriously by calling him "potovra skareda"
          today, it wouldn't be the phrase someone would choose to truly offend.

          > remember the words in the reverse order, "potvora s~kareda"

          The attribute (adjective) is often placed after the noun in expressive
          statements:

          moja mama --> Mama moja!
          Somar sprosty!
          Decko neporiadne!

          A well-known sonnet by Andrej Sladkovic begins, _Marina moja, teda tak
          sme my..._ "Marina mine, so that's were we are/that's the way it is
          with us..."

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2 4:27 PM
            Memories of Ben and Dr. Q

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqIzjNFTrgg&feature=related

          • Dr. Joe Q
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 2 9:44 PM
              Drahy Vilo,

              I wish I could play the fujara as well as Ben and the other artists in the youtube presentation. Thank you for the connection.

              Dr. "Q"

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3 4:53 AM
                Ben,
                Just in case you fell asleep on Monday. I am sending you the information on the Pennsylvania Polka. I know that you really need this info in you musical life.

                Az~ na veky vekov, Amen

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeke_Manners

                Vilkovy Charitas

                ________________________________

                For whatever reason, "draw a blank" is a good equivalent too in many
                contexts, etc.

                > potvora

                It's relatively mild now, becoming somewhat old fashioned, can be even
                endearing. "Mis-creant" (po-tvora) is the core, historical meaning.
                You cannot offend anyone seriously by calling him "potovra skareda"
                today, it wouldn't be the phrase someone would choose to truly offend.

                > remember the words in the reverse order, "potvora s~kareda"

                The attribute (adjective) is often placed after the noun in expressive
                statements:

                moja mama --> Mama moja!
                Somar sprosty!
                Decko neporiadne!

                A well-known sonnet by Andrej Sladkovic begins, _Marina moja, teda tak
                sme my..._ "Marina mine, so that's were we are/that's the way it is
                with us..."

              • Gregory J Kopchak
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 3 8:05 AM
                  My favorite version of the Pennsylvania Polka is the
                  one done by Jimmy Pol in the 1970's

                  He did a version as a Polka tribute to the Pittsburgh
                  Steelers.

                  We were playing it during the Superbowl on Sunday.

                  Greg

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Ben,
                  > Just in case you fell asleep on Monday. I am sending you the
                  information on the Pennsylvania Polka. I know that you really need
                  this info in you musical life.

                  > Az~ na veky vekov, Amen
                  >
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeke_Manners
                  >
                  > Vilkovy Charitas
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Ben Sorensen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4 7:00 AM
                    I wish I though as much of my playing as you do! :-)
                    Ben

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 5 8:15 AM
                      hi Ben - know you will share my frustration - saw a great program listed when i was at Piestany Spa - title was Gypsy Songs and featured one of the Berky brothers - the cimbal player and band and a couple who were going to perform actual gypsy songs. I love the Rom music but too often even when the Rom groups were featured at a folk festival, they played Slovak folk songs and not the Rom ones.

                      i walked a mile in the cold snowy night to get there and w3was disappointed as it seemed to be the usual cimbal trio playing - guess the performance was cancelled - several reasons given - the couple was ill, second was no heat for the room where perfomance was to be held.

                      arrrgggh they promised to reschedule but never did.

                      Does anyone know of a recording of actual Rom songs by a Rom group - like Julia, the Lament, etc.

                      helene

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 5 9:48 AM
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ARR9HAZiA&feature=PlayList&p=0A1B4CADD93957E1&index=4

                        Helene,
                        there is a lot of this Romi music on YouTube. You only need to type Cigani, Romi, Gupsy. I have seen a lot of Romi language. when searching for Cymbalom Music.

                        It frustrate me when our American Slovaks think that our Slovak cymbalom music is "Gypsy".

                        Are you home Helene?

                        Vili

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 5 11:59 AM
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ARR9HAZiA&feature=PlayList&p=0A1B4CADD93957E1&index=4

                          BEN,
                          Especially for you.

                          Vilo

                        • Ben Sorensen
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 5 9:46 PM
                            HI Helene,
                            I will get you a collection of some GOOD stuff- the kind that gets all the shoulders moving and everyone yelling C~AVE C~AVE!!!!
                            Gimme a bit, though, I have to track it down... :-)
                            Ben
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5-4If03Bok
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or71XphwlCU
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwkl87g0dkU
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZCCQyJ_Ux8&feature=related
                            Have some fun!!!!!

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 5 10:29 PM
                              Well there are 174 videos of mine on YOU TUBE: http://www.youtube.com/vladi49

                              You can also GOOGLE Vladi49 and find where in the world are all the
                              links to them

                              I have produced 93 VHS videos of Slovak folklore and culture between
                              years 1989-2005

                              2006 38 DVD's of FOLKLORE SONGS AND DANCES

                              2007 21 DVD's of FOLKLORE SONGS AND DANCES

                              2008 33 DVD's of FOLKLORE SONGS AND DANCES

                              Email me for info, we can talk folklore.

                              I am going to the printers soon with spring issue of SLOVAK HERITAGE
                              LIVE starting our 17 year of publishing.

                              You can get a free issue if you want providing you didn't get a free
                              issue before.

                              Send in your snail mail/

                              No problem of sending PDF to anybody even to the previous recipients
                              of free issue.

                              I am off to Slovakia February 21, my 48th trip since 1987. Last one
                              was September 2008. If you need anything, research, videos or pictures,
                              email me at: vlinder49@...

                              Vladi
                            • Ben Sorensen
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 6 5:12 AM