Re: [Slovak-World] [Sound of crickets]

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
      :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
      Doma mame krasku a potvoru.  Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
      Ben

      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
        Aj mate maleho huncuta, nie?

        >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 2/2/2009 1:57 PM >>>
        :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
        Doma mame krasku a potvoru. Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
        Ben

        < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly bastard".

        >>> Julie Michutka <jmm@pathbridge. net> 2/2/2009 1:46 PM >>>

        On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
        > S~karade Potvora

        Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
        what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
        it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
        order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
        three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@pathbridge. net

      • Matchett
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
          Julie,

          That's funny--I didn't learn the Slovak for please or thank you either
          until I visited there (in '97). On an earlier trip my mother did all
          the talking, as usual, that's why I never learned to speak Slovak--ale
          rozumiem Slovensky. I still have trouble pronouncing thank you in
          Slovak. I think it's easier in Czech!

          A childhood memory I have is my mother calling my cat a potvora.
          Julia M.

          On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Julie Michutka wrote:

          > *sigh* My dad's sisters were 'way older than he, and he grew up with a
          > bunch of brothers. I didn't learn Slovak for "please" and "thank you"
          > until I went to Slovakia, but I knew these other phrases that I simply
          > could not use....

        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
            Superbowl? Gridiron?

            Laskavy Prosim

            Nick
          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
              Niekedy budes~ plakat za tych slovic~ky. Ja vc~il nemam takovy Krasku a sedim v slzach veliky.

              snif snif.....

              Vilko

              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                Pre boha, nebud smutny. :-) len rozmyslaj, aky si stastny....
                aspon ta JA lubim, Vilko!!!!!
                Ben