Re: [Slovak-World] [Sound of crickets]

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
      *sigh* My dad's sisters were 'way older than he, and he grew up with a
      bunch of brothers. I didn't learn Slovak for "please" and "thank you"
      until I went to Slovakia, but I knew these other phrases that I simply
      could not use....

      On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Helen Fedor wrote:

      > < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly
      > bastard".

      > On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
      >> S~karade Potvora
      >
      > Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
      > what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
      > it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
      > order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
      > three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)
      >
      > Julie Michutka
      > jmm@...

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
        :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
        Doma mame krasku a potvoru.  Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
        Ben

        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
          Aj mate maleho huncuta, nie?

          >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 2/2/2009 1:57 PM >>>
          :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
          Doma mame krasku a potvoru. Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
          Ben

          < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly bastard".

          >>> Julie Michutka <jmm@pathbridge. net> 2/2/2009 1:46 PM >>>

          On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
          > S~karade Potvora

          Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
          what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
          it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
          order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
          three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@pathbridge. net

        • Matchett
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
            Julie,

            That's funny--I didn't learn the Slovak for please or thank you either
            until I visited there (in '97). On an earlier trip my mother did all
            the talking, as usual, that's why I never learned to speak Slovak--ale
            rozumiem Slovensky. I still have trouble pronouncing thank you in
            Slovak. I think it's easier in Czech!

            A childhood memory I have is my mother calling my cat a potvora.
            Julia M.

            On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Julie Michutka wrote:

            > *sigh* My dad's sisters were 'way older than he, and he grew up with a
            > bunch of brothers. I didn't learn Slovak for "please" and "thank you"
            > until I went to Slovakia, but I knew these other phrases that I simply
            > could not use....

          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
              Superbowl? Gridiron?

              Laskavy Prosim

              Nick
            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                Niekedy budes~ plakat za tych slovic~ky. Ja vc~il nemam takovy Krasku a sedim v slzach veliky.

                snif snif.....

                Vilko

                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                  Pre boha, nebud smutny. :-) len rozmyslaj, aky si stastny....
                  aspon ta JA lubim, Vilko!!!!!
                  Ben