Re: [Slovak-World] [Sound of crickets]

    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
      < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly bastard".

      On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
      > S~karade Potvora

      Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
      what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
      it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
      order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
      three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Julie Michutka
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
        *sigh* My dad's sisters were 'way older than he, and he grew up with a
        bunch of brothers. I didn't learn Slovak for "please" and "thank you"
        until I went to Slovakia, but I knew these other phrases that I simply
        could not use....

        On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Helen Fedor wrote:

        > < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly
        > bastard".

        > On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
        >> S~karade Potvora
        >
        > Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
        > what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
        > it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
        > order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
        > three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)
        >
        > Julie Michutka
        > jmm@...

      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
          :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
          Doma mame krasku a potvoru.  Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
          Ben

          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
            Aj mate maleho huncuta, nie?

            >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 2/2/2009 1:57 PM >>>
            :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
            Doma mame krasku a potvoru. Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
            Ben

            < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly bastard".

            >>> Julie Michutka <jmm@pathbridge. net> 2/2/2009 1:46 PM >>>

            On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
            > S~karade Potvora

            Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
            what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
            it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
            order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
            three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@pathbridge. net

          • Matchett
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
              Julie,

              That's funny--I didn't learn the Slovak for please or thank you either
              until I visited there (in '97). On an earlier trip my mother did all
              the talking, as usual, that's why I never learned to speak Slovak--ale
              rozumiem Slovensky. I still have trouble pronouncing thank you in
              Slovak. I think it's easier in Czech!

              A childhood memory I have is my mother calling my cat a potvora.
              Julia M.

              On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Julie Michutka wrote:

              > *sigh* My dad's sisters were 'way older than he, and he grew up with a
              > bunch of brothers. I didn't learn Slovak for "please" and "thank you"
              > until I went to Slovakia, but I knew these other phrases that I simply
              > could not use....

            • Nick Holcz
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                Superbowl? Gridiron?

                Laskavy Prosim

                Nick
              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                  Niekedy budes~ plakat za tych slovic~ky. Ja vc~il nemam takovy Krasku a sedim v slzach veliky.

                  snif snif.....

                  Vilko

                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                    Pre boha, nebud smutny. :-) len rozmyslaj, aky si stastny....
                    aspon ta JA lubim, Vilko!!!!!
                    Ben