Re: [Slovak-World] [Sound of crickets]

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
      On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
      > S~karade Potvora

      Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
      what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
      it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
      order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
      three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
        < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly bastard".

        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
          *sigh* My dad's sisters were 'way older than he, and he grew up with a
          bunch of brothers. I didn't learn Slovak for "please" and "thank you"
          until I went to Slovakia, but I knew these other phrases that I simply
          could not use....

          On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Helen Fedor wrote:

          > < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly
          > bastard".

          > On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
          >> S~karade Potvora
          >
          > Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
          > what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
          > it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
          > order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
          > three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)
          >
          > Julie Michutka
          > jmm@...

        • Ben Sorensen
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
            :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
            Doma mame krasku a potvoru.  Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
            Ben

            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
              Aj mate maleho huncuta, nie?

              >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 2/2/2009 1:57 PM >>>
              :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
              Doma mame krasku a potvoru. Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
              Ben

              < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly bastard".

              >>> Julie Michutka <jmm@pathbridge. net> 2/2/2009 1:46 PM >>>

              On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
              > S~karade Potvora

              Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
              what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
              it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
              order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
              three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@pathbridge. net

            • Matchett
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                Julie,

                That's funny--I didn't learn the Slovak for please or thank you either
                until I visited there (in '97). On an earlier trip my mother did all
                the talking, as usual, that's why I never learned to speak Slovak--ale
                rozumiem Slovensky. I still have trouble pronouncing thank you in
                Slovak. I think it's easier in Czech!

                A childhood memory I have is my mother calling my cat a potvora.
                Julia M.

                On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Julie Michutka wrote:

                > *sigh* My dad's sisters were 'way older than he, and he grew up with a
                > bunch of brothers. I didn't learn Slovak for "please" and "thank you"
                > until I went to Slovakia, but I knew these other phrases that I simply
                > could not use....

              • Nick Holcz
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                  Superbowl? Gridiron?

                  Laskavy Prosim

                  Nick
                • William C. Wormuth
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                    Niekedy budes~ plakat za tych slovic~ky. Ja vc~il nemam takovy Krasku a sedim v slzach veliky.

                    snif snif.....

                    Vilko

                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                      Pre boha, nebud smutny. :-) len rozmyslaj, aky si stastny....
                      aspon ta JA lubim, Vilko!!!!!
                      Ben