Re: [Slovak-World] [Sound of crickets]

  • Michelle Burke
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 2 10:29 AM
      (Some of us must be awake) As Santonio Holmes said at the end, "This one's for Pittsburgh!"  Although I grew up in Cleveland, my mom's family has deep Southwest Pennsylvania, Slovak, roots and when she first went to the big city after high school, it was Pittsburgh that beckoned.  So to all my Pittsburgh cousins, and all Pittsburghers on Slovak World -- Way to Go Steelers!

      ________________________________
      From: Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 11:09 AM

      Caye, did we wake you?
      Ben

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 10:50 AM

      Shhhh. We'd better be quiet so as not to zobudit' the others.

      I know that there's a Slovak soup (I saw the recipe once, but have never made it) called drunkard's soup (or was it Hungarian?). Is that a hangover recipe? Are there other traditional Slovak hangover remedies...or do real Slovak men not need such things? ;-)

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 11:28 AM >>>
      mnam!!!!
      I see that we are the only two up.... :-D

      I was in a Pittsburgh minority last night, and it was fun.... but I would rather go to singing practise myself now , truth be told....
      Ben

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 10:47 AM

      Okno????

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 10:34 AM >>>
      why would I have a monkey????
      ano, ano.... aj okno. :-)
      Ok, it wasn't that bad, but the blood/alcohol ratio is getting back to normal. I lost my voice though!
      Ben

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] [Sound of crickets]
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 9:57 AM

      It's so quiet that I assume most of the denizens of SW are recovering from last night's celebrations.

    • Julie Michutka
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 2 10:46 AM
        On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
        > S~karade Potvora

        Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
        what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
        it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
        order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
        three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 2 10:49 AM
          < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly bastard".

          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 2 10:53 AM
            *sigh* My dad's sisters were 'way older than he, and he grew up with a
            bunch of brothers. I didn't learn Slovak for "please" and "thank you"
            until I went to Slovakia, but I knew these other phrases that I simply
            could not use....

            On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Helen Fedor wrote:

            > < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly
            > bastard".

            > On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
            >> S~karade Potvora
            >
            > Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
            > what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
            > it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
            > order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
            > three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)
            >
            > Julie Michutka
            > jmm@...

          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 2 10:57 AM
              :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
              Doma mame krasku a potvoru.  Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
              Ben

              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 2 12:38 PM
                Aj mate maleho huncuta, nie?

                >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 2/2/2009 1:57 PM >>>
                :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
                Doma mame krasku a potvoru. Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
                Ben

                < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly bastard".

                >>> Julie Michutka <jmm@pathbridge. net> 2/2/2009 1:46 PM >>>

                On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
                > S~karade Potvora

                Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
                what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
                it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
                order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
                three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@pathbridge. net

              • Matchett
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 2 2:13 PM
                  Julie,

                  That's funny--I didn't learn the Slovak for please or thank you either
                  until I visited there (in '97). On an earlier trip my mother did all
                  the talking, as usual, that's why I never learned to speak Slovak--ale
                  rozumiem Slovensky. I still have trouble pronouncing thank you in
                  Slovak. I think it's easier in Czech!

                  A childhood memory I have is my mother calling my cat a potvora.
                  Julia M.

                  On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Julie Michutka wrote:

                  > *sigh* My dad's sisters were 'way older than he, and he grew up with a
                  > bunch of brothers. I didn't learn Slovak for "please" and "thank you"
                  > until I went to Slovakia, but I knew these other phrases that I simply
                  > could not use....

                • Nick Holcz
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 2 4:26 PM
                    Superbowl? Gridiron?

                    Laskavy Prosim

                    Nick
                  • William C. Wormuth
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 3 5:17 PM
                      Niekedy budes~ plakat za tych slovic~ky. Ja vc~il nemam takovy Krasku a sedim v slzach veliky.

                      snif snif.....

                      Vilko

                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 3 10:34 PM
                        Pre boha, nebud smutny. :-) len rozmyslaj, aky si stastny....
                        aspon ta JA lubim, Vilko!!!!!
                        Ben