Re: [Slovak-World] [Sound of crickets]

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
      I love it!!! Welcome to Slovak World... we have a cure for everything. :-)

      Dr. Q would be the person to explain why the kapusta/kapusnica/salt/bloody mary/juha/(margarita, perhaps?) works, and I am sure that Martin MUST know of some other podtatransky cures. I was always amazed by how many ways a hangover was cured...
      Ben

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 11:50 AM

      Shhhh. We'd better be quiet so as not to zobudit' the others.

      I know that there's a Slovak soup (I saw the recipe once, but have never made it) called drunkard's soup (or was it Hungarian?). Is that a hangover recipe? Are there other traditional Slovak hangover remedies...or do real Slovak men not need such things? ;-)

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 11:28 AM >>>
      mnam!!!!
      I see that we are the only two up.... :-D

      I was in a Pittsburgh minority last night, and it was fun.... but I would rather go to singing practise myself now , truth be told....
      Ben

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 10:47 AM

      Okno????

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 10:34 AM >>>
      why would I have a monkey????
      ano, ano.... aj okno. :-)
      Ok, it wasn't that bad, but the blood/alcohol ratio is getting back to normal. I lost my voice though!
      Ben

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] [Sound of crickets]
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 9:57 AM

      It's so quiet that I assume most of the denizens of SW are recovering from last night's celebrations.

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

        LOL, I've been up since 5am -- I loved the reply "yeah, Slovak!"

        hahahahah -- still laughing over here.

        Caye

        From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@yahoo. com>
        To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 12:05 PM

        LOL -- laughing LOUDLY -- since it's self-inflicted, I have little mercy -- and Ben can handle it, he's young.

        Caye

        Shhhh. We'd better be quiet so as not to zobudit' the others.

        I know that there's a Slovak soup (I saw the recipe once, but have never made it) called drunkard's soup (or was it Hungarian?). Is that a hangover recipe? Are there other traditional Slovak hangover remedies...or do real Slovak men not need such things? ;-)

        >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 11:28 AM >>>
        mnam!!!!
        I see that we are the only two up.... :-D

        I was in a Pittsburgh minority last night, and it was fun.... but I would rather go to singing practise myself now , truth be told....
        Ben

        I remember seeing (back in the 80s) a toilet paper holder cover/lid in a Slovak bathroom, on which was a drawing of Donald Duck saying "Bud' fit!".

        Last night I had some of my husband's Superbowl chili (the extent of my and our daughter's Superbowl celebrations) and then went off to singing rehearsal. This morning I offered my congratulations to my good buddy who's a transplant from P-burgh to the DC area.

        >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 11:05 AM >>>
        mat' okno

        When you don't remember things due to a drink/drug induced stupor. I DIDN"T have one last night.... but the Bud light (I was joking that it was an imperative.. you know... Bud', be!) is definately cheap beer. I wasn't even tipsy, but I still taste it today. :-( I wish it had been Yuengling or Iron City or so.... but no such luck.

        What did you do last night?
        Ben

        Ok, it wasn't that bad, but the blood/alcohol ratio is getting back to normal. I lost my voice though!
        Ben

        STOP WRITING SO LOUD. I have a headache.... :-)

        Pittsburgh schools had a 2 hour delay today... so that is indicative.. ..
        Ben
        It's so quiet that I assume most of the denizens of SW are recovering from last night's celebrations.

      • Michelle Burke
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
          (Some of us must be awake) As Santonio Holmes said at the end, "This one's for Pittsburgh!"  Although I grew up in Cleveland, my mom's family has deep Southwest Pennsylvania, Slovak, roots and when she first went to the big city after high school, it was Pittsburgh that beckoned.  So to all my Pittsburgh cousins, and all Pittsburghers on Slovak World -- Way to Go Steelers!

          ________________________________
          LOL, I've been up since 5am -- I loved the reply "yeah, Slovak!"

          hahahahah -- still laughing over here.

          Caye

          LOL -- laughing LOUDLY -- since it's self-inflicted, I have little mercy -- and Ben can handle it, he's young.

          Caye

          Shhhh. We'd better be quiet so as not to zobudit' the others.

          I know that there's a Slovak soup (I saw the recipe once, but have never made it) called drunkard's soup (or was it Hungarian?). Is that a hangover recipe? Are there other traditional Slovak hangover remedies...or do real Slovak men not need such things? ;-)

          >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 11:28 AM >>>
          mnam!!!!
          I see that we are the only two up.... :-D

          I was in a Pittsburgh minority last night, and it was fun.... but I would rather go to singing practise myself now , truth be told....
          Ben

          I remember seeing (back in the 80s) a toilet paper holder cover/lid in a Slovak bathroom, on which was a drawing of Donald Duck saying "Bud' fit!".

          Last night I had some of my husband's Superbowl chili (the extent of my and our daughter's Superbowl celebrations) and then went off to singing rehearsal. This morning I offered my congratulations to my good buddy who's a transplant from P-burgh to the DC area.

          >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 11:05 AM >>>
          mat' okno

          When you don't remember things due to a drink/drug induced stupor. I DIDN"T have one last night.... but the Bud light (I was joking that it was an imperative.. you know... Bud', be!) is definately cheap beer. I wasn't even tipsy, but I still taste it today. :-( I wish it had been Yuengling or Iron City or so.... but no such luck.

          What did you do last night?
          Ben

          Ok, it wasn't that bad, but the blood/alcohol ratio is getting back to normal. I lost my voice though!
          Ben

          STOP WRITING SO LOUD. I have a headache.... :-)

          Pittsburgh schools had a 2 hour delay today... so that is indicative.. ..
          Ben
          It's so quiet that I assume most of the denizens of SW are recovering from last night's celebrations.

        • Julie Michutka
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
            On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
            > S~karade Potvora

            Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
            what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
            it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
            order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
            three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
              < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly bastard".

              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                *sigh* My dad's sisters were 'way older than he, and he grew up with a
                bunch of brothers. I didn't learn Slovak for "please" and "thank you"
                until I went to Slovakia, but I knew these other phrases that I simply
                could not use....

                On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Helen Fedor wrote:

                > < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly
                > bastard".

                > On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
                >> S~karade Potvora
                >
                > Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
                > what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
                > it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
                > order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
                > three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)
                >
                > Julie Michutka
                > jmm@...

              • Ben Sorensen
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                  :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
                  Doma mame krasku a potvoru.  Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
                  Ben

                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                    Aj mate maleho huncuta, nie?

                    >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 2/2/2009 1:57 PM >>>
                    :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
                    Doma mame krasku a potvoru. Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
                    Ben

                    < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly bastard".

                    >>> Julie Michutka <jmm@pathbridge. net> 2/2/2009 1:46 PM >>>

                    On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
                    > S~karade Potvora

                    Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
                    what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
                    it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
                    order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
                    three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)

                    Julie Michutka
                    jmm@pathbridge. net

                  • Matchett
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                      Julie,

                      That's funny--I didn't learn the Slovak for please or thank you either
                      until I visited there (in '97). On an earlier trip my mother did all
                      the talking, as usual, that's why I never learned to speak Slovak--ale
                      rozumiem Slovensky. I still have trouble pronouncing thank you in
                      Slovak. I think it's easier in Czech!

                      A childhood memory I have is my mother calling my cat a potvora.
                      Julia M.

                      On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Julie Michutka wrote:

                      > *sigh* My dad's sisters were 'way older than he, and he grew up with a
                      > bunch of brothers. I didn't learn Slovak for "please" and "thank you"
                      > until I went to Slovakia, but I knew these other phrases that I simply
                      > could not use....

                    • Nick Holcz
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                        Superbowl? Gridiron?

                        Laskavy Prosim

                        Nick
                      • William C. Wormuth
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                          Niekedy budes~ plakat za tych slovic~ky. Ja vc~il nemam takovy Krasku a sedim v slzach veliky.

                          snif snif.....

                          Vilko

                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                            Pre boha, nebud smutny. :-) len rozmyslaj, aky si stastny....
                            aspon ta JA lubim, Vilko!!!!!
                            Ben