Re: [Slovak-World] [Sound of crickets]

    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
      Shhhh. We'd better be quiet so as not to zobudit' the others.

      I know that there's a Slovak soup (I saw the recipe once, but have never made it) called drunkard's soup (or was it Hungarian?). Is that a hangover recipe? Are there other traditional Slovak hangover remedies...or do real Slovak men not need such things? ;-)

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 2/2/2009 11:28 AM >>>
      mnam!!!!
      I see that we are the only two up.... :-D

      I was in a Pittsburgh minority last night, and it was fun.... but I would rather go to singing practise myself now , truth be told....
      Ben

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 10:47 AM

      Okno????

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 10:34 AM >>>
      why would I have a monkey????
      ano, ano.... aj okno. :-)
      Ok, it wasn't that bad, but the blood/alcohol ratio is getting back to normal. I lost my voice though!
      Ben

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] [Sound of crickets]
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 9:57 AM

      It's so quiet that I assume most of the denizens of SW are recovering from last night's celebrations.

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
        The best hangover recipe that I know of is really simple: sauerkraut! The juice ("juha" I think its called) from sauerkraut contains alot of nutrients- and kapusnica   (a traditional Christmas soup) is really good for hangovers.  Heck, it is good anytime! It also helps get the body back into "order," so they say.

        I find the hair of the dog is the best cure... :-P Kiddin.  I go sauerkraut and kapusnica everytime....
        Ben

        Shhhh. We'd better be quiet so as not to zobudit' the others.

        I know that there's a Slovak soup (I saw the recipe once, but have never made it) called drunkard's soup (or was it Hungarian?). Is that a hangover recipe? Are there other traditional Slovak hangover remedies...or do real Slovak men not need such things? ;-)

        >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 11:28 AM >>>
        mnam!!!!
        I see that we are the only two up.... :-D

        I was in a Pittsburgh minority last night, and it was fun.... but I would rather go to singing practise myself now , truth be told....
        Ben

        I remember seeing (back in the 80s) a toilet paper holder cover/lid in a Slovak bathroom, on which was a drawing of Donald Duck saying "Bud' fit!".

        Last night I had some of my husband's Superbowl chili (the extent of my and our daughter's Superbowl celebrations) and then went off to singing rehearsal. This morning I offered my congratulations to my good buddy who's a transplant from P-burgh to the DC area.

        >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 11:05 AM >>>
        mat' okno

        When you don't remember things due to a drink/drug induced stupor. I DIDN"T have one last night.... but the Bud light (I was joking that it was an imperative.. you know... Bud', be!) is definately cheap beer. I wasn't even tipsy, but I still taste it today. :-( I wish it had been Yuengling or Iron City or so.... but no such luck.

        What did you do last night?
        Ben

        Ok, it wasn't that bad, but the blood/alcohol ratio is getting back to normal. I lost my voice though!
        Ben

        STOP WRITING SO LOUD. I have a headache.... :-)

        Pittsburgh schools had a 2 hour delay today... so that is indicative.. ..
        Ben
        It's so quiet that I assume most of the denizens of SW are recovering from last night's celebrations.

      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

          LOL -- laughing LOUDLY -- since it's self-inflicted, I have little mercy -- and Ben can handle it, he's young.

          Caye

          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
            Caye, did we wake you?
            Ben

            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
              < Jus~ka > out east.

              Jus~ka and kapustnica are both loaded with salt, just like a Bloody Mary (a traditional American hangover remedy (also falling somewhat into the "hair of the dog" category)) with its highly-salted tomato juice. I wonder if salt is supposed to have some curative effect.

              So how many Slovak words are there for "drunkard"?
              opilec
              pijan
              pijak (the one I grew up hearing; also means 'blotter' or 'blotting paper')
              alkoholik
              korhel'
              Any more?

              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                :-) Yeah.... Slovak! :-D
                kidding.....

                Ben

                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                  O.k., my salt theory/your kapusta theory continue to hold up. I just looked in a Hungarian cookbook and found "Korhelyleves", "Hangover Soup". [Martin, which way did the borrowing go for the word korhel'/korhely?]

                  It's a very short recipe, so here it is:

                  Hangover Soup

                  500g/1 lb sauerkraut
                  300 g/11 oz smoked sausage
                  salt
                  paprika
                  a little grated onion
                  2-3 tbsp sour cream

                  Strain the sauerkraut and bring the juice to a boil. If it is too sour add water. Make a brown roux and add the paprika and grated onion. Do not continue fryng. Pour on the sauerkraut juice and add the sauerkraut and the sliced sausage. Season to taste. Before serving stir in the sour cream.

                  >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 2/2/2009 12:04 PM >>>
                  The best hangover recipe that I know of is really simple: sauerkraut! The juice ("juha" I think its called) from sauerkraut contains alot of nutrients- and kapusnica (a traditional Christmas soup) is really good for hangovers. Heck, it is good anytime! It also helps get the body back into "order," so they say.

                  I find the hair of the dog is the best cure... :-P Kiddin. I go sauerkraut and kapusnica everytime....
                  Ben

                  Shhhh. We'd better be quiet so as not to zobudit' the others.

                  I know that there's a Slovak soup (I saw the recipe once, but have never made it) called drunkard's soup (or was it Hungarian?). Is that a hangover recipe? Are there other traditional Slovak hangover remedies...or do real Slovak men not need such things? ;-)

                  >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 11:28 AM >>>
                  mnam!!!!
                  I see that we are the only two up.... :-D

                  I was in a Pittsburgh minority last night, and it was fun.... but I would rather go to singing practise myself now , truth be told....
                  Ben

                  I remember seeing (back in the 80s) a toilet paper holder cover/lid in a Slovak bathroom, on which was a drawing of Donald Duck saying "Bud' fit!".

                  Last night I had some of my husband's Superbowl chili (the extent of my and our daughter's Superbowl celebrations) and then went off to singing rehearsal. This morning I offered my congratulations to my good buddy who's a transplant from P-burgh to the DC area.

                  >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 11:05 AM >>>
                  mat' okno

                  When you don't remember things due to a drink/drug induced stupor. I DIDN"T have one last night.... but the Bud light (I was joking that it was an imperative.. you know... Bud', be!) is definately cheap beer. I wasn't even tipsy, but I still taste it today. :-( I wish it had been Yuengling or Iron City or so.... but no such luck.

                  What did you do last night?
                  Ben

                  Ok, it wasn't that bad, but the blood/alcohol ratio is getting back to normal. I lost my voice though!
                  Ben

                  STOP WRITING SO LOUD. I have a headache.... :-)

                  Pittsburgh schools had a 2 hour delay today... so that is indicative.. ..
                  Ben
                  It's so quiet that I assume most of the denizens of SW are recovering from last night's celebrations.

                • William C. Wormuth
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                    S~karade Potvora

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                      I love it!!! Welcome to Slovak World... we have a cure for everything. :-)

                      Dr. Q would be the person to explain why the kapusta/kapusnica/salt/bloody mary/juha/(margarita, perhaps?) works, and I am sure that Martin MUST know of some other podtatransky cures. I was always amazed by how many ways a hangover was cured...

                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009

                        LOL, I've been up since 5am -- I loved the reply "yeah, Slovak!"

                        hahahahah -- still laughing over here.

                        Caye

                        LOL -- laughing LOUDLY -- since it's self-inflicted, I have little mercy -- and Ben can handle it, he's young.

                        Caye

                        Shhhh. We'd better be quiet so as not to zobudit' the others.

                        I know that there's a Slovak soup (I saw the recipe once, but have never made it) called drunkard's soup (or was it Hungarian?). Is that a hangover recipe? Are there other traditional Slovak hangover remedies...or do real Slovak men not need such things? ;-)

                        >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 11:28 AM >>>
                        mnam!!!!
                        I see that we are the only two up.... :-D

                        I was in a Pittsburgh minority last night, and it was fun.... but I would rather go to singing practise myself now , truth be told....
                        Ben

                        I remember seeing (back in the 80s) a toilet paper holder cover/lid in a Slovak bathroom, on which was a drawing of Donald Duck saying "Bud' fit!".

                        Last night I had some of my husband's Superbowl chili (the extent of my and our daughter's Superbowl celebrations) and then went off to singing rehearsal. This morning I offered my congratulations to my good buddy who's a transplant from P-burgh to the DC area.

                        >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 11:05 AM >>>
                        mat' okno

                        When you don't remember things due to a drink/drug induced stupor. I DIDN"T have one last night.... but the Bud light (I was joking that it was an imperative.. you know... Bud', be!) is definately cheap beer. I wasn't even tipsy, but I still taste it today. :-( I wish it had been Yuengling or Iron City or so.... but no such luck.

                        What did you do last night?
                        Ben

                        Ok, it wasn't that bad, but the blood/alcohol ratio is getting back to normal. I lost my voice though!
                        Ben

                        STOP WRITING SO LOUD. I have a headache.... :-)

                        Pittsburgh schools had a 2 hour delay today... so that is indicative.. ..
                        Ben
                        It's so quiet that I assume most of the denizens of SW are recovering from last night's celebrations.

                      • Michelle Burke
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                          (Some of us must be awake) As Santonio Holmes said at the end, "This one's for Pittsburgh!"  Although I grew up in Cleveland, my mom's family has deep Southwest Pennsylvania, Slovak, roots and when she first went to the big city after high school, it was Pittsburgh that beckoned.  So to all my Pittsburgh cousins, and all Pittsburghers on Slovak World -- Way to Go Steelers!

                          ________________________________
                          LOL, I've been up since 5am -- I loved the reply "yeah, Slovak!"

                          hahahahah -- still laughing over here.

                          Caye

                          LOL -- laughing LOUDLY -- since it's self-inflicted, I have little mercy -- and Ben can handle it, he's young.

                          Caye

                          Shhhh. We'd better be quiet so as not to zobudit' the others.

                          I know that there's a Slovak soup (I saw the recipe once, but have never made it) called drunkard's soup (or was it Hungarian?). Is that a hangover recipe? Are there other traditional Slovak hangover remedies...or do real Slovak men not need such things? ;-)

                          >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 11:28 AM >>>
                          mnam!!!!
                          I see that we are the only two up.... :-D

                          I was in a Pittsburgh minority last night, and it was fun.... but I would rather go to singing practise myself now , truth be told....
                          Ben

                          I remember seeing (back in the 80s) a toilet paper holder cover/lid in a Slovak bathroom, on which was a drawing of Donald Duck saying "Bud' fit!".

                          Last night I had some of my husband's Superbowl chili (the extent of my and our daughter's Superbowl celebrations) and then went off to singing rehearsal. This morning I offered my congratulations to my good buddy who's a transplant from P-burgh to the DC area.

                          >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com> 2/2/2009 11:05 AM >>>
                          mat' okno

                          When you don't remember things due to a drink/drug induced stupor. I DIDN"T have one last night.... but the Bud light (I was joking that it was an imperative.. you know... Bud', be!) is definately cheap beer. I wasn't even tipsy, but I still taste it today. :-( I wish it had been Yuengling or Iron City or so.... but no such luck.

                          What did you do last night?
                          Ben

                          Ok, it wasn't that bad, but the blood/alcohol ratio is getting back to normal. I lost my voice though!
                          Ben

                          STOP WRITING SO LOUD. I have a headache.... :-)

                          Pittsburgh schools had a 2 hour delay today... so that is indicative.. ..
                          Ben
                          It's so quiet that I assume most of the denizens of SW are recovering from last night's celebrations.

                        • Julie Michutka
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                            On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
                            > S~karade Potvora

                            Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
                            what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
                            it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
                            order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
                            three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)

                            Julie Michutka
                            jmm@...
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                              < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly bastard".

                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                                *sigh* My dad's sisters were 'way older than he, and he grew up with a
                                bunch of brothers. I didn't learn Slovak for "please" and "thank you"
                                until I went to Slovakia, but I knew these other phrases that I simply
                                could not use....

                                On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Helen Fedor wrote:

                                > < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly
                                > bastard".

                                > On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
                                >> S~karade Potvora
                                >
                                > Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
                                > what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
                                > it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
                                > order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
                                > three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)
                                >
                                > Julie Michutka
                                > jmm@...

                              • Ben Sorensen
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                                  :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
                                  Doma mame krasku a potvoru.  Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
                                  Ben

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                                    Aj mate maleho huncuta, nie?

                                    >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 2/2/2009 1:57 PM >>>
                                    :-) Hey, would you all leave me out of this please!!!!???
                                    Doma mame krasku a potvoru. Skuste hadat kto je co....:-)
                                    Ben

                                    < S~kareda potvora > would be (lit.) "ugly beast" or (fig.) "ugly bastard".

                                    >>> Julie Michutka <jmm@pathbridge. net> 2/2/2009 1:46 PM >>>

                                    On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, William C. Wormuth wrote:
                                    > S~karade Potvora

                                    Wow, that's one I haven't heard since I was a kid! I didn't even know
                                    what it meant, just that it was a pretty strong insult. So what is
                                    it, "ugly drunk"? (Actually, I remember the words in the reverse
                                    order, "potvora s~kareda". Didn't even know if it was two words or
                                    three, pot vora s~kareda, from the way it was said.)

                                    Julie Michutka
                                    jmm@pathbridge. net

                                  • Matchett
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                                      Julie,

                                      That's funny--I didn't learn the Slovak for please or thank you either
                                      until I visited there (in '97). On an earlier trip my mother did all
                                      the talking, as usual, that's why I never learned to speak Slovak--ale
                                      rozumiem Slovensky. I still have trouble pronouncing thank you in
                                      Slovak. I think it's easier in Czech!

                                      A childhood memory I have is my mother calling my cat a potvora.
                                      Julia M.

                                      On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Julie Michutka wrote:

                                      > *sigh* My dad's sisters were 'way older than he, and he grew up with a
                                      > bunch of brothers. I didn't learn Slovak for "please" and "thank you"
                                      > until I went to Slovakia, but I knew these other phrases that I simply
                                      > could not use....

                                    • Nick Holcz
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 2, 2009
                                        Superbowl? Gridiron?

                                        Laskavy Prosim

                                        Nick
                                      • William C. Wormuth
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                                          Niekedy budes~ plakat za tych slovic~ky. Ja vc~il nemam takovy Krasku a sedim v slzach veliky.

                                          snif snif.....

                                          Vilko

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 3, 2009
                                            Pre boha, nebud smutny. :-) len rozmyslaj, aky si stastny....
                                            aspon ta JA lubim, Vilko!!!!!
                                            Ben