Re: Counting Money

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2009
      > how they count money in different parts of the world.

      I wonder, Ron -- is it supposed to be what most people in those
      regions do? The first thing to notice is that it appears to be
      "professional" counting and of a large number of crisp banknotes
      (look-alikes). Second, banknotes of different denominations are of
      different sizes in Europe, so again -- it would be rare for a
      non-professional to count from such a wad of money, you cannot do it
      with banknotes of different denominations that you normally carry around.

      Additionally, almost all people in Central Europe at least carry cash
      in wallets and would, therefore, pull the banknotes out one by one.

      I'd also say that when people (including the cashiers at supermarkets,
      for instance), in the Euro-North-American cultures at least, find
      themselves in a situation when they need to count a large sum of
      banknotes, most will put the counted banknotes on the desk in front of
      them, because people don't carry many crisp banknotes, don't want to
      lick their fingers in order to count crumpled ones in the manner shown
      in the clips, and because that's about the only way a non-professional
      can be sure of getting the count right.

      A hint of a confirmation that it may be so is in the movies -- the
      crooks count money by putting the banknotes on the table, meaning
      that's what the screenwriters, actors, and directors consider "the way
      it's done."