Counting Money

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2009
      Here is a video that shows how they count money in different parts of
      the world. Now I have been to Slovakia often enough, but have never
      noted how money is counted ...

      any observations out there? Any comments on the claims in the video?

      Ron

      http://www.wimp.com/flipcash/
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2009
        > how they count money in different parts of the world.

        I wonder, Ron -- is it supposed to be what most people in those
        regions do? The first thing to notice is that it appears to be
        "professional" counting and of a large number of crisp banknotes
        (look-alikes). Second, banknotes of different denominations are of
        different sizes in Europe, so again -- it would be rare for a
        non-professional to count from such a wad of money, you cannot do it
        with banknotes of different denominations that you normally carry around.

        Additionally, almost all people in Central Europe at least carry cash
        in wallets and would, therefore, pull the banknotes out one by one.

        I'd also say that when people (including the cashiers at supermarkets,
        for instance), in the Euro-North-American cultures at least, find
        themselves in a situation when they need to count a large sum of
        banknotes, most will put the counted banknotes on the desk in front of
        them, because people don't carry many crisp banknotes, don't want to
        lick their fingers in order to count crumpled ones in the manner shown
        in the clips, and because that's about the only way a non-professional
        can be sure of getting the count right.

        A hint of a confirmation that it may be so is in the movies -- the
        crooks count money by putting the banknotes on the table, meaning
        that's what the screenwriters, actors, and directors consider "the way
        it's done."