RE: [Slovak-World] A change of pace: a Slovak saying

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 28, 2009
      This book gives the Polish version of sayings, along with the equivalents in several other languages, including several Slavic ones.

      I remember asking my mom aout this saing once when she used it. She explained that a calf is so young and inexperienced, that anything new, even a gate, is a wonder to it. I imagine that a < malowane > gate attracts that much more notice.

      I also remember Mom using a slightly shorter version of this saying (in our dialect): "Co tam stojis~ a patris~ jak cele?" [Why are you standing there looking, like a calf?].

      Helen Fedor
      European Division
      Library of Congress
      101 Independence Avenue, SE
      Washington, D.C. 20540-4831
      tel. (202) 707-3704
      fax (202) 707-8482
      <hfed@...>
      >>> "Armata, Joseph R" <armata@...> 01/27/09 5:01 PM >>>
      There's a similar Polish expression, but the calf is staring at a "painted" gate.

      Must be something fascinating about those East European gates!

      Joe

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 28, 2009
        > is a wonder to it.

        That it's so stupid that it doesn't even recognize something familiar,
        although spruced up. All the village cows were driven to pasture
        every day by the local cowherd in the spring-fall. They would come
        back in the evening and more-or-less walk into their farmyards on
        their own. If the entrance gate was fixed up in the meantime, the
        adult cows would still "know" and just walk on, but the calf would not
        recognize it, stop, and stare instead of moving on -- to the cowherd's
        or owner's annoyance.

        Martin
      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2009
          I know people like that.  I think I will spruce up the door at work just so I can have some peace...
          Ben

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 28, 2009
            Ben, That is good , decorate your office door and keep the Delta
            Hotels outside staring.

            Skeeter sent me this quote which I think sums it up.
            "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
            I'm not sure about the former."

            Laskavy Prosim

            Nick