Re: [Slovak-World] Skeeter

    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 26, 2009
      Yes, Michelle.  Thank you for taking the time.

      From: Nick Holcz <nickh@iinet. net.au>

      Subject: [Slovak-World] Skeeter

      To: slovak-world@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 8:05 PM

      To all Skeeter's friends, the following was sent

      to me by Skeeter's brother Paul

      Hi Nick,

      As promised - the attachments are some

      information about my brother. I meet with the

      funeral director tomorrow to write the obituary

      for the newspaper. I will let you know what days

      it is in the paper. I'm sure it will be before the end of the week.

      Thanks,

      Paul

      FRANK BICAN

      1953-2009

      Frank passed away this past Friday afternoon

      (January 16, 2009). It appeared that he may have

      been going out to get his mail and suffered an

      apparent heart attack in his driveway. By the

      time neighbors found him, he had been so exposed

      to the cold that resuscitation by the EMS crew

      and Metro General Hospital were unsuccessful. His

      mom, brother Paul and Paul's wife and two sons survive him.

      His family originates from the Czech Republic

      and came to the United States via Riga, Latvia in

      1901. Frank was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1953

      and stayed in this area his whole life. He

      graduated High School from Brecksville High

      School in 1971. He went on to graduate from

      Cleveland State University with a Biology degree in 1975.

      He started his career at the Cleveland Clinic

      Foundation in the Blood Bank and subsequently

      transferred to Microbiology Laboratory. Due to

      his expertise in computers, and his keen sense of

      the workings of electronics, he eventually

      shifted over to Lab Information Systems.

      Frank was a "computer geek" and for a time was

      a Contributing Editor for PC Magazine, while still working for the hospital.

      He later transferred to Southwest General

      Hospital and worked in data processing until he

      retired at the age of 50. Two years into

      retirement though, he was felled by throat

      cancer. Chemo and radiation therapy took its toll

      on Frank and he never fully recovered from this ordeal.

      For the last several years Frank was pretty

      much a "shut-in" but wore out several laptops

      keeping in touch with his friends. Cooking became his primary hobby.

      Frank, or "Skeeter" as his family has always

      called him, was a good egg, a good sport and a good guy - may he Rest In

      Peace.

      Paul Bican

    • Nick
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 7, 2013
        >It is a good time to remember our friend Skeeter, I was informed of
        >his passing on the 16th January 2009.

        Regards
        Nick