Re: [Slovak-World] an interesting description; comments?

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 2, 2009
      That's right Ben... but I believe that ours is historically older.
      Even Magyars used it and you know that they would never have copied the French. Of course now they would, since they have a Magyar leading France :-) :-) :-).

      Vilko

      ________________________________
      From: William C. Wormuth <senzus@ymail. com>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, January 2, 2009, 3:07 PM

      The other day I ran across a wikipedia for the french double cross, (can't remember the name), it stated that it was used on the Slovak Flag.
      I wonder what our Patrons Sts. Cyril and Methodius would think??? :) :) :)
      Vili

      ____________ _________ _________ __
      From: Julie Michutka <jmm@pathbridge. net>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, January 2, 2009, 8:32 AM

      Happy New Year, all!

      I came across a small AP article in the paper this morning about
      Slovakia's adoption of the euro. To my surprise, the country was
      described as a "small alpine nation". Should I have been surprised?
      Would any of you have come up with this description off the top of
      your head? Granted, it didn't say "small Alpine nation" (upper case
      A), which would have implied a location in the Alps themselves. And
      I've seen the High Tatras described as "alpine" with regard to their
      height and flora and fauna. But the whole country?

      Wonder how many people reading the article will now misunderstand
      where Slovakia is located.... not that many people can place it on a
      map, anyway....

      Just wondering!

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@pathbridge. net

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 22, 2009
        paprikás [pahpree kah kahsh] csirke galuskaval [gha loosh kahvahl]. chicken paprikas~ s halus~ky, (with dumplings / spaetzle).