Re: Spend Christmas back in the 5 & 10 cent Woolworths .....

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 1, 2009
      In Youngstown, Ohio we had a Frosty stand in the
      basement of the McKelvey's Department Store on
      Federal Street downtown.

      It was a "must stop" every time you were shopping
      downtown - the line was always long.

      Greg

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Burke <mcmburke@...> wrote:

      > And do you also remember the "frosties" that they sold at the pizza
      stand in the Terminal Tower, on the way to the Rapid?  And there was
      really stretchy cheese on the pizza....

      Anne & Mary Medvedik cousins <regency34668@...>; Beatsie Medvedik
      <beamed@...>; Betsy Murphy <poochabeagle@...>; Bob Dueweke
      <bobdueweke@...>; Brian Medvidick <medvidick@...>; Cathee & Glenn
      <roevan@...>; Darlene Swain <darlene@...>; Fr Howard Barch
      <hcbarch@...>; Greg Medvedik <barney0@...>; Jeanne Riddle
      <jeanne_riddle@...>; Jody Medvedik <jwoman@...>; Joe Armata
      <armata@...>; Julie Michutka <jmm@...>; Kathy Weeks <kathy@...>;
      Lorraine Upton <nupton@...>; Louise Ferguson <rex_louise@...>; Lydia
      <lydia@...>; Mariann Bennett <carnation3838@...>; Mariann Medvik
      <madgebadge3@...>; Rorberta Bennett <teapotmom48@...>; SlovakWorld
      <slovak-world@yahoogroups.com>; Steve Medvik <borgsmith04@...>; Sue Tod
      > <susanctod@...>; Tom Mcinerney <fimpressions@...>
      Woolworths .....

      > Yes, I do remember the "five & dime". In our case, it was S.S.
      Kresge, before it turned into K-Mart. It was one of my favorite places
      to go in the 1950's. I also remember the wonderful vanilla shakes in
      the basement of the May Co. I am indeed older than dirt!

      com>: ------------ --

      > Do you remember??
      >
      > Merry Christmas!!!
      >
      > http://www.national christmascenter. com/exhibits/ htm/woolworth. htm
      > Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows
      Vista®.
      > http://clk.atdmt com/MRT/go/ 127032870/ direct/01/

    • floriansimala
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
        Weber's on Lorain Ave somewhere around W. 200th in Fairview Park has
        the machinery that was used in Higbees on Public Square, Cleveland, to
        make the Frostys. However, Weber's makes a batch and puts it in the
        freezer unlike Higbees which ran the machine continuously. Therefore,
        the consistency is not quite the same, but the taste is good. I also
        seem to remember the May Company nearby offering these Frostys, but
        can't be sure as that was in the 1940s and early 1950s. I do remember
        that they were mighty good. I also recall the Frostys were served in
        a glass resembling a coke glass, narrow at the base and up the sides,
        then widening to the top.

        For Nick; The Woolworths we visited at the Junction in Noosa,
        Queensland, OZ, was basically a supermarket. Woolworths five and dime
        stores, or ten cent stores, in the U.S., was an old time sundry store
        several cuts above the dollar stores we see now, or the Crazy Clark's
        that is also in Noosa among other places in OZ. Woolworth five and
        ten cent stores disappeared in the U.S. in the 1950s, 1960s, or
        perhaps later, or morphed into something else as S S Kresge's became
        K-Mart as Skeeter noted. I believe these old-time dime stores became
        some of the first national discount store chains.

        Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year all,

        Florian

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@...> wrote:

        > In Youngstown, Ohio we had a Frosty stand in the
        > basement of the McKelvey's Department Store on
        > Federal Street downtown.
        >
        > It was a "must stop" every time you were shopping
        > downtown - the line was always long.
        >
        > Greg
        >

        > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Burke <mcmburke@> wrote:
        > >
        > > And do you also remember the "frosties" that they sold at the pizza
        > stand in the Terminal Tower, on the way to the Rapid?  And there was
        > really stretchy cheese on the pizza....
        > > We went to Kresge's downtown, but we had a Woolworth's "Up Buckeye"
        > (at 116th Street).
        > >

        > > ________________________________
        > > From: "fbican@" <fbican@>
        > > To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com; Andre St.Pierre <astpierre@>;
        > Anne & Mary Medvedik cousins <regency34668@>; Beatsie Medvedik
        > <beamed@>; Betsy Murphy <poochabeagle@>; Bob Dueweke
        > <bobdueweke@>; Brian Medvidick <medvidick@>; Cathee & Glenn
        > <roevan@>; Darlene Swain <darlene@>; Fr Howard Barch
        > <hcbarch@>; Greg Medvedik <barney0@>; Jeanne Riddle
        > <jeanne_riddle@>; Jody Medvedik <jwoman@>; Joe Armata
        > <armata@>; Julie Michutka <jmm@>; Kathy Weeks <kathy@>;
        > Lorraine Upton <nupton@>; Louise Ferguson <rex_louise@>; Lydia
        > <lydia@>; Mariann Bennett <carnation3838@>; Mariann Medvik
        > <madgebadge3@>; Rorberta Bennett <teapotmom48@>; SlovakWorld
        > <slovak-world@yahoogroups.com>; Steve Medvik <borgsmith04@>; Sue Tod
        > > <susanctod@>; Tom Mcinerney <fimpressions@>

      • Nick Holcz
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 6, 2009
          Florian, that is correct Woolworths in oz is a supermarket We have
          shops like " the two dollar shop" Thingz and Gone Bazaar that are
          probably like a 5 and dime store except with prices that are higher.
          I don't know how the Woolworths name came to be in oz but it was
          never a cheap sort of shop. There is also Big W in oz which is a variety store.

          regards
          Nick
        • Michelle Burke
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 6, 2009
            Frosties were available at both May Co. and Higbees (thanks for reminding me) right through the '60s.  As for Woolworths -- I think they were  open as five & dimes into the 80's if I remember correctly.

            Thanks for the tip about Weber's -- next time I'm in Cleveland, I'll swing by!

            I know this thread is off topic, but that's why I like Slovak World -- it's both ethnic and nostalgia-related!

            ________________________________

          • fbican@att.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 6, 2009
              Nick, et.al.--

              The big one we have around Cleveland is Marc's. It began life as a drugstore, but now they carry groceries as well. Once in a while, they have some really good cheap stuff. I got a nice digital volt-ohm-milliameter (VOM) for $4. That's the new five-and-dime around here. You never know what they'll have on any given day, so you just wander in every couple of weeks and see whats-what. Sometimes it's a bust, sometimes it's a goldmine, you just never know.

              Well, it's it's snowing here right now, and supposed to be snow and freezing rain for the next few days, so I'm not going anywhere. I might try my hand at "red flannel hash" today. Biftecky, zemiak, beets, cibula, parsley. catsup, cierne korenie. Please pardon my mix of English and Slovak. I'm still learning.

              Laskavy prosim,

              Skeeter

              -------------- Original message from Nick Holcz <nickh@...>: --------------

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 7, 2009
                The same thing's happened in the U.S., Nick. Five and dime stores are
                long gone -- they go back a couple of generations. Dollar stores are
                the new "dime stores". One would need a couple of nickles or a dime
                just to pay the sales tax on a dollar store item these days.

                I also wonder if there is a connection with the Woolworth in OZ and
                the old Woolworth's in the U.S. other than the name. I have never
                seen a Big W here. I can't recall exactly what happened to
                Woolworth's in the U.S. as I was out of the country for many years.
                Maybe it simply went out of business.

                Best,

                Florian

              • fbican@att.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 7, 2009
                  According to this atricle, Wikipedia,

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._W._Woolworth_Company

                  Woolworth's Limited in AU is a separate company, and the largest retailer in the land downunder. The last store in the US closed in 1997. Then again, I'm old enough to remember the S.S. Kresge company, which went on to become K-Mart, and now part of the Sears Robuck company.

                  Time marches on, I guess...

                  Laskavy prosim,

                  Skeeter

                  -------------- Original message from "floriansimala" <floriansimala@...>: --------------