Re: New Law Relaxes use of "ova" on Female Names

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2008
      > if true, as the provisions labled here would
      > constitute a TIGHTENING of the laws

      Indeed, Ben, but that news item is merely the Deutsche Presse
      Agentur's interpretation. I'd pay no attention. The main goals of
      that amended (not "new" as the DPA believes) bill have been to make it
      easier to give children uncommon names, to enable a name change for
      transgendered people, to enable people to have several last names, and
      to liberalize the paperwork people need for that.

      What the DPA report says is merely a rehashed common misrepresentation
      of the law on -ova as it exists now. The amended bill is no different
      from the previous legislation in this respect.

      You're right that ethnic Slovak women _can_ drop the usual -ova. They
      don't need to file a petition if they marry a foreign national, and
      that was Milka's case. If they want to lose it "just because,"
      though, the decision is in the hands of the district authorities.
      Some have misinterpreted the law on occasion (under Meciar in the
      mid-1990s), others meet such requests almost automatically.

      Mainly, though, very few ethnic Slovak women have ever asked to have
      the -ova removed without circumstances that grant it to them on the
      spot, so there are few precedences to go by, which gives free reign to
      "news" reports like the one by the DPA.