New Law Relaxes use of "ova" on Female Names

  • ssultonia
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2008
      Just saw this on another site. Read about it here.

      http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/246796,new-law-in-slovakia-mrs-muellero

      Bill
    • ssultonia
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2008
        Sorry - that web address doesn't seem to work even though I did a direct copy/paste.

        Just go to http://www.earthtimes.org then scroll down to "General News" and you
        will find the article there.
        R/Bill

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "ssultonia" <ssultonia@...> wrote:

        > Just saw this on another site. Read about it here.
        >
        > http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/246796,new-law-in-slovakia-mrs-muellero
        >
        > Bill

      • Marianne Petruska
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2008
          I just clicked on the link you provided & got:
          Earthtimes - 404 error

          Sorry the page you are looking for does not exist any more.

          On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 4:30 PM, ssultonia <ssultonia@...> wrote:

          > Just saw this on another site. Read about it here.
          >

          > http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/246796,new-law-in-slovakia-mrs-muellero
          >
          > Bill

        • Ben Sorensen
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 18, 2008
            I just read the article, and I will have to do some research, but it seems spurious. It is interesting if true, as the provisions labled here would constitute a TIGHTENING of the laws as Misa and I lived them in 2004- when we wed IN SLOVAKIA.
            Ben

            On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 4:30 PM, ssultonia <ssultonia@yahoo. com> wrote:

            > Just saw this on another site. Read about it here.
            >

            > http://www.earthtim es.org/articles/ show/246796, new-law-in- slovakia- mrs-muellero
            >
            > Bill

          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 19, 2008
              > if true, as the provisions labled here would
              > constitute a TIGHTENING of the laws

              Indeed, Ben, but that news item is merely the Deutsche Presse
              Agentur's interpretation. I'd pay no attention. The main goals of
              that amended (not "new" as the DPA believes) bill have been to make it
              easier to give children uncommon names, to enable a name change for
              transgendered people, to enable people to have several last names, and
              to liberalize the paperwork people need for that.

              What the DPA report says is merely a rehashed common misrepresentation
              of the law on -ova as it exists now. The amended bill is no different
              from the previous legislation in this respect.

              You're right that ethnic Slovak women _can_ drop the usual -ova. They
              don't need to file a petition if they marry a foreign national, and
              that was Milka's case. If they want to lose it "just because,"
              though, the decision is in the hands of the district authorities.
              Some have misinterpreted the law on occasion (under Meciar in the
              mid-1990s), others meet such requests almost automatically.

              Mainly, though, very few ethnic Slovak women have ever asked to have
              the -ova removed without circumstances that grant it to them on the
              spot, so there are few precedences to go by, which gives free reign to
              "news" reports like the one by the DPA.