Re: soil from the homeland

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 55 , May 4, 2003
      At 03:12 PM 5/4/03 -0700, you wrote:
      >Ron, I dont see it as that big a problem, I have read of no problems
      >in Slovakia, Anthrax or other. And burying one once of soil in a
      >graveyard certainly will not contaminated the agri-system of the U.S. I
      >think your concerns are going way past common sense here. If there were
      >any concerns of this kind of contamination, we certainly wouldnt be
      >importing anything! Im sure everything that is imported in not
      >decontaminated prior to shipping, and many things have had contact with
      >the ground prior to shipping, automobiles for one. JIm

      Mediterranean fruit fly.

      Gypsy moth.

      Lily beetle, I think.

      Rabbits in Australia (OK, they're bigger than what you'd find on a piece of
      fruit or in a box of soil).

      Probably the woolly adelgid.

      If I remember rightly, all of these "plagues"--and others--were brought
      about in this country by seemingly innocuous routes, in tiny
      amounts. There are so many non-native invasive plants and insects now that
      are causing huge problems. Personally, I really would not want to be
      responsible for bringing insect eggs or weed seeds back to this country. I
      like Bill's idea of bringing back soil but having it professionally and
      legally sterilized. Thanks for letting us know about this option Bill, I
      had no idea it existed.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 55 of 55 , Aug 4, 2003
        Good Capt -- we expect nothing less. Enjoy!

        Caye

        capt jack <captjack00@...> wrote:
        Ahoj,

        just a quick message to let all know that I am now in Slovakia. Im typing this on a slovak keyboard, it is a little differant and takes a bit to adjust. Spent today in Bratislava, yesterday in Tranava. Tommorrow we go to Prauge. &i am taking lots of pictures to share wit list when I return.

        Jim

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT