RE: [Slovak-World] Pickled eggs and beets

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 12, 2008

      That is the weirdest thing I've heard this week -- i'd love to see a you tube video of that.

      Caye

      From: fbican@... <fbican@...>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Pickled eggs and beets
      To: "Unknown" <Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 1:27 AM

      I have no idea if this is a Slovak or Czech tradition, but we usually had
      pickled eggs, beets, and oinions around the holidays. I made some last
      month
      (Thanksgiving) and I'm planning to make more this month (Christmas) and
      probably again for Easter.

      "My Pennsylvania Dutch grandmother, Florence Walter, used to make these.
      They are especially great for picnics. The combination of pickled eggs,
      beets, and onions is really something special. A great way to use up
      left-over Easter-eggs too!"
      INGREDIENTS:
      1 (15 ounce) can beets
      1 onion, thinly sliced
      12 hard cooked eggs, shelled and left whole
      1/4 cup white sugar
      1/2 cup vinegar

      DIRECTIONS:
      1.Drain liquid from the beets into saucepan. Place beets, onions, and eggs
      into a large bowl or pitcher.
      2.Pour sugar and vinegar into the saucepan with the beet liquid and bring
      the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and let the mixture simmer
      15
      minutes.
      3.Pour the beet juice mixture over the beets, eggs, and onions. Seal the
      bowl or pitcher and refrigerate. Refrigerate for at least one to 3 days;
      the
      longer they are allowed to sit the better they will taste.