Re: [Slovak-World] Re: FRANK: In conclusion

  • fbican@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2008
      Ron, et.al.--

      My favorite meals are the eastern European ones -- knedlicky v zeli v brambory, hoska, kapusta, halusky, klobasa, pierogi, Polish bigos, holubki, Hungarian veal papricaz, borscht v knedliky, chlebova polevka, hovezi gulas...I could go on for hours. They've all but disappeared from the American table, replaced by hamburgers, french fries, and pizza. Nothing was better was better than when my mom made a breakfast of biftek, vajicko, zemiak before we went out hunting. Life doesn't get any better than that! In return, I brought home a few geese & ducks.

      Laskavy prosim,

      Skeeter

      -------------- Original message from "Ron Matviyak" <amiak27@...>: --------------

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, fbican@... wrote:

      > "and primarily to cook, so that they know how, because here in
      America cooks are paid well and purely American-born people don't much
      know how to cook tasty food."

      > That line struck a particular chord with me. It doesn't apply just
      to women. Most American food is so boring that it brings tears to my
      eyes. If I want really good Slovak, Czech, Polish, German food, I
      have to make it myself.

      > Skeeter

      It shocks me still when I say something complimentary about tasty
      European food and the artful presentation - the normal European plate
      of food is arranged as a beautiful piece of art that is found only in
      the most expensive restaurants in America. There are also tastes to
      be enjoyed there that are rare to find in America.

      Yet to compliment the European food (while offering no criticism of
      American food) is very often attacked as 'unpatriotic'.

      Nonsense.