Re: [Slovak-World] Slovaks in Ukraine

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2008
      Hi Margo - i am trying to learn more about the community in Zofiovka and Krive Rohe which were supposed to be far eastern Ukraine near the Russian border - possibly near Kharkiv. Have read that Slovaks were offered land and so went to other countries to live and work . The one I am studying was a community that formed and "krajani" countrymen came to live and work there; they had all kinds of shops and a church. The people came from Liptov and Turiec - they sold herbal medicines among other things.

      Looking at a map it is a horrendous long way from Slovakia - seems they traveled by horse and cart. It sure would be fascinating to have an eye-witness account of one of these settlements like we have with Frank's story.

      The Czech Republic has an organization that studies Czechs in the diaspora or scattered in communities saround the world.

      The Slovaks have the Zahranicne organization - which has different goals but maybe a query there would get you pointed in the right direction. They seem more focused on
      other things than history - but e mail me directly and i will give you a contact to their director and publications editor. There seem to be a lot of organizations in former Yugoslavia, not sure I noted any in Ukraine. Although i know of a Czecho-Slovak group in Uzhorod.

      When i am in Slovakia in January I will visit with the Director too and ask about this too.

      There is another organization of Slovak academics around the world - tho they seem to be studying things from the last century and not the 1800s. I can give you a contact there - Slovak Studies organization.,

      helene.