Re: [Slovak-World] FRANK: San Francisco

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 56 , Dec 2, 2008
      On Dec 2, 2008, at 3:09 PM, Helen Fedor wrote:

      > "You see, $50 down the water all at once!" [Would it be too strong
      > (and wrong) to translate <dolu vodu> as the modern-day "down the
      > toilet"?]

      A native speaker could answer better than I, but here's my take, for
      what it's worth: "down the toilet" has a connotation of being wasted,
      don't you think? "Down the water"--does that mean waste, flushed
      away, or does it mean rapidly flowing away, as in a lot leaving at
      once very quickly (eg cast upon a fast-flowing river)?

      > his mother scraped some fluff from a linen sheet and applied some
      > wood oil to the wound <mi matka zos lenej plachti nas~krabala mohu a
      > drevenu olivu mi prikladala> that it healed. [Can anyone explain
      > the "wood oil"?]

      Turpentine? I've heard of it being put to some pretty bizarre uses.
      Again, a wild guess!

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Gergely
      Message 56 of 56 , Dec 16, 2008
        Our daughter taught us (she's lived in Germany for 20 years now) that non-carbonated water is referred to as "still" water. It seems to work well.