FRANK: The saga of the farm continues

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2008
      When we last left our story, Koscilek's horse was being held at the city stable, awaiting his (Koscilek's, not the horse's) court date.

      One of the fellows who worked at the stable told the farmer who'd sold Koscilek the horse that by the time the court date would come, the horse would have eaten more than he was worth, so the horse was let out to graze at the farm of the fellow who'd sold it to Koscilek. The horse stayed there for 2 weeks, then died.

      The farmer now sued Koscilek for the $50 for the horse. Koscilek went to the lawyer and told him the whole story. The lawyer said that Koscilek should find a person who he knew well and trusted not to trick him, and bring him to the lawyer's office to sign over the farm to this trusted fellow and pay the lawyer what was owed. So Koscilek went to Portland, to the home of a Polish fellow. This fellow said that he'd pay the lawyer if Koscilek would sign the farm over to him. But he (Koscilek, I assume) didn't do that. Instead, he went to another Polish fellow who knew our Frank and told Koscilek to go see Frank, that he was an honest man and wouldn't cheat Koscilek.

      Koscilek came to Frank's house with the 2nd Polish fellow and told Frank his story, but Frank said that he didn't want any farm. Afterwards, Frank talked it over with his wife and figured that the farm would cost them $600 and that it already had a lot of improvements made to it. There was only another $200 for the lawyer and Koscilek would sign over the farm to Frank. Then, when Koscilek got money from Europe, he'd repay Frank with interest, and Frank would sign it back to Koscilek. Koscilek came to see Frank again 2 days later and said that Frank couldn't lose on the deal, because if Koscilek couldn't pay him back, then the farm and all its buildings would be Frank's.

      And so Frank and the 2nd Polish fellow went to the lawyer's office and Frank bought's Koscilek's farm, paying an additional $228.89 to the lawyer. The lawyer drew up the papers that were then signed in front of the notary. Afterwards, Frank had everything registered in the land records.

      Koscilek didn't get money from Europe and didn't pay Frank. Now Frank Pil'arek, who'd once owned the farm and had cheated Koscilek out of all that money, filed an appeal because a law was soon to be passed saying that a farmer couldn't be removed from his land <nemohli s~edlaka vihnac> if the property was worth less than $1,500. So now there was again to be a court hearing next month, i.e. April. Frank would either get his money back or he'd lose it--he himself didn't know how it would come out.

      Frank had bought the farm on March 23, 1896, but "I don't understand everything very well because those paragraphs are all twisted and everything is just lordly mischief-making <pan~ske huncuctvo>." He was constantly working now and was healthy. Everything was going well for him, except that his wife didn't cover little Albert warmly enough one night, so he got very sick and now they needed "doctors and medicines, more doctors and medicines, and you, Frank, pay because your wife was so careless, and Albert was sick for more than a year." Albert was 20 months old and Frank calculated that he'd spent over $300 on him.

      On April 13, 1896, Frank lost his job <s~e mi robota zamknula>, and about 2 months later he went by himself to another town to work. He was there for 4 months and earned $135. He was in Portland over the winter and worked little, just enough to cover living expenses.

      In 1897, Frank started working in the tavern again, where he worked until May. He quit then because ships were transporting people from Portland to San Francisco very cheaply then, so he figured that he'd go see the city that he'd left Chicago for some 12 years earlier.