Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Bryndza in Cleveland

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hello BJLK-
      You can use it for bryndzove halusky most likely... and I will be right over. What is your address? :-)

      I have yet to get bryndza here but I have the same contact in NY as someone else referenced. I know that thier supplier is actually Hungarian and in NY, and he told me that he imports it from the Liptov/Podpolanie area. I hope it is true... and I may have to break down and get some....
      Ben

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2008
        is the name "Buta toth" Bryndza?

        ________________________________
        I have found a Hungarian that imports Slovak bryndza- and I bet it is hard to be sure that a Pole is or isn't importing Slovak bryndza.  I think people who know Slovenska (majova) bryndza would have to try it and give you their opinion... and I am always looking for an excuse to eat bryndza.  However, Martin's words have lead me to the idea that I will probably decline any American bryndza. Feta is not even close....

        It sounds like you are getting two types of mixes here, one more "cut" than the other, and the roll is leading me to think Slovak bryndza.  I am HOPING, as I live on bryndza when I can find it. I have since lost a staple of my diet- bryndza and zincica. What is a fujaras to do???? Slivovica is just not a substitute.. . :-D
        Martin and other Slovaks, please chime in and give me hope....
        Ben

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        ____________ _________ ____
        B. J. Licko-Keel (_BJLK@..._ (mailto:BJLK@...) )

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2008
          Actually, if there is none available, the mix with feta is not bad.
           Don't be afraid to try the Ukrainian deli selections.  In Albany, NY they had three brands:  Ukrainian, Bulgarian and Romanian.  I selected Bulgarian because it was closest in odor to ours.
          Since there are different "brands" from  different areas in Slovakia, each of us would have a different special choice.
          It cost $3.75 a pound but was worth it.  I bought fro myself and two friends, both Krajani.  THEY WERE SUPER HAPPY, as was I.  Thus, I understand all of these messages in the thread.

          Hope you all find a source!
          Vilo