Bryndza in Cleveland

  • Cathie
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 29, 2008
      I found some Slovak Bryndza at the West Side Market in the
      Mediterranean Shop. It was $8.99/pound and very good. He had other
      sheep milk based cheeses as well. I was also told that Galucci's, just
      east of E55th between Euclid and Carnegie should have it as well.
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 29, 2008
        > I found some Slovak Bryndza at the West Side Market in the
        > Mediterranean Shop. It was $8.99/pound and very good.

        Thanks for the information, Cathie. Did the package say "Slovak
        bryndza," was it stamped with the country of origin, or was the
        bryndza packaged locally?

        Martin
      • Cathie McAdams
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 29, 2008
          It looked like it was in a separate clear plastic bag.  When I asked the owner where it was from, he said Slovakia.  I only bought a pound.  My husband said I should have gotten the address and phone number of the shop but I didn't.  I was just happy to finally find some locally at a reasonable price.  I think this is the correct web address: http://www.discoverlorainave.com/westsidemarket_detail.aspx?stand=Delicatessen

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 29, 2008
            > in a separate clear plastic bag.  When I asked the owner
            > where it was from, he said Slovakia.

            Thank you, Cathie, exactly what I wished to know.

            Martin
          • Cathie McAdams
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 29, 2008
              You are very welcome.

              ________________________________
              > in a separate clear plastic bag.  When I asked the owner
              > where it was from, he said Slovakia.

              Thank you, Cathie, exactly what I wished to know.

            • Ben Sorensen
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 29, 2008
                Hi Martin,
                I, being a glutton for bryndza, am at a loss.  Would this mean that it is Slovak bryndza, and the bryndza that I would sell Niki for? (Ok, I wouldn't, but you know what I mean.) What does the description tell you? I felt a slightly esoteric understanding from your answer... :-) an understanding that was completely beyond me.

                I would love to ask Cathie:
                did it spread easy, or was it a bit crumbly?  Was the taste very sharp and bitter, or was it more creamy with a tinge of acidity to it? I ask because it tells me what I can do with the bryndza- as this will more or less let me know if it is pure or mixed with butter/cream.  Pure bryndza is wonderful, but does not do well commercially as the taste is to pugnant for most people- it is SHARP.  Usually, it is mixed with cream or butter to make it more spreadable and to cut the sharpness.  I am just curious- and I will have to figure out how to get it here!!! :-)

                In our household, I am in charge of the natierka (bryndza spread). :-) I know a baca in Liptov (Liptovsky Mikulas) and I am, so he says, one of his only customers that will buy a hruda bryndzy (can't find a suitable expression in English) that has not been prepared/cut. (He is actually a family friend, and not really a true baca- as he is well educated and it is not his main job. It is his hobby. In Slovakia, I get pure bryndza at a good discount, along with the by-product, zinc~ica.  For that alone I would move back to Slovakia :-D).

                My secret is that I add butter to the bryndza, paprika (not too much!!!), onion, and the onion green (stalks?) to the bryndza. You have to add all of it little by little, starting with the butter to get the consistency right. The other ingredients have to be added little by little, starting with paprika to get the pink (leave a hint of cream/off white) color. You can add chives or a very small amount of parsley, mixing it with a wooden spoon (vareska) for the right atmosphere.  However, a bit of onion and stalk is all I ever really needed....
                Ben

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 29, 2008
                  > an understanding that was completely beyond me.

                  Bryndza import has been quite limited -- here are a few details
                  (scroll to the bottom):

                  <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/bryndza.html>

                  ... and, moreover, Slovak bryndza exporters have been saying recently
                  that it's ceased to be worth their trouble since the dollar dropped so
                  low, so I wondered whether there'd be some evidence of origin.

                  Martin
                • Cathie McAdams
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 30, 2008
                    It is somewhat crumbly and sharpish.  I like a good sharp cheese.  Super sharp cheddar is my favorite cheddar.  I have not had it since I was in Slovakia in 2006 and it was fresh-made in Zavadka where I had it.  This is a little different but still quite good.  My family served as slices with the green onion stalks, I felt that it really add to the flavor.  And after you wrote about paprika, I remembered it on the cheese in Zavadka.

                    ________________________________

                    ____________ _________ _________ __

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 30, 2008
                      To Martin and Cathie,
                      You both have just made my morning. This means that bryndza is back-  There is no bryndza like Slovak bryndza-full stop. Was it packaged as a big lump or in a kind of roll? Or, was it just a block of white, sharp, somewhat crumbly/creamy cheeze? I am just curious/excited! I am suspecting that it has either butter or cream added, as it is usually not sold pure even in Slovakia. I can't imagine someone even trying to sell pure bryndza as an import-- the taste is so acidic for the general public, and in a country where I can buy ready-made hot dogs in a box or peeled potatos in a bag (to make mash!), I don't see selling anything that needs preparation as being a marketing possibility.

                      I still can't believe that I am looking at more than $16.00 for a kilo, but I guess that is actually really good for a specialty import. (Cheaper than Double Cross....) If you can get the addy, number, or some type of contact for the shop, I would be thrilled. I bet zinc~ica is out of the question....
                      Ben

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 30, 2008
                        Ben,

                        Here is the website, the article has the phone number:
                          http://www.discoverlorainave.com/westsidemarket_detail.aspx?stand=Delicatessen
                        The owner is Gus, a nice guy with a ready smile.  Definitely not Slovak, though. The West Side Market is only open certain days,  I think Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.  Here is the link: http://www.westsidemarket.org/

                        I do not know if they will ship it since it seems quite perishable.

                        Very happy that I made your day.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 30, 2008
                          > that bryndza is back- There is
                          > no bryndza like Slovak bryndza

                          It's not clear where this product has originated. A substitute made
                          of cow cheese and feta, processed and seasoned to resemble bryndza, is
                          sold in a limited number of places in the US. A former major Slovak
                          exporter to the US said in the summer that they were stopping export
                          to the US (which is not to say that they indeed did). They probably
                          used to supply all the Slovak bryndza that was commercially available
                          here.

                          Martin
                        • fbican@att.net
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 30, 2008
                            Cathie--

                            I'm with you all the way on liking sharp syr. Some of the best I've gotten have been from www.igourmet.com, mostly from Holland. Gouda with pesto, smoked sharp cheddar, Cotswold with onions, pepper-jack, et.al. I know they're not Slovak, but no one appreciates a good, sharp syr more than I do.

                            Laskavy prosim,

                            Skeeter

                            -------------- Original message from Cathie McAdams <ab8gv@...>: --------------

                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 30, 2008
                              Hi Ben,

                              When I was last in Slovakia, I had the real Bryndza. My relartives went on
                              a 50 kilo journey to get a special type of Bryndza from the mountains. I
                              can only imagine where it comes from except to say that it was delicious.
                              There were no additives, but it went down as smooth and creamy. Much better
                              than Greek cheese, which I cannot east, but the Bryndza was, as I said
                              before, it went down like cows milk before it was put through the
                              pastureizing process.

                              Best regards,

                              John e. Polko.

                              > in a separate clear plastic bag. When I asked the owner
                              > where it was from, he said Slovakia.

                              Thank you, Cathie, exactly what I wished to know.

                            • John Polko
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 30, 2008
                                Have you tried extra old Gouda cheese instead of parmesan cheese. It is
                                tremendous on its own, but get a table spoon or so of it on a plate full of
                                spagetti or pasta in general, and it makes a fabulous topping. It also goes
                                well with wine and any other potables you may be drinking on any particular
                                day. It also lasts a long time so you don't have to worry about it going
                                bad.

                                > in a separate clear plastic bag. When I asked the owner
                                > where it was from, he said Slovakia.

                                Thank you, Cathie, exactly what I wished to know.

                              • Paul Wolsko
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 30, 2008
                                  I've had Bryndza but I must say that a good Bulgarian Feta is almost indisguishable from the "real thing". Hard to come by, but there are ethnic markets that carry it. Trouble is that it doesn't keep long, so it will only be sold in an area that buys a lot of this product. Very good when purchased and packed "wet" - in its brine.

                                  Paul Wolsko

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 30, 2008
                                    > I've had Bryndza but I must say that a good Bulgarian Feta
                                    > is almost indisguishable from the "real thing". Hard to come
                                    > by, but there are ethnic markets that carry it. Trouble is
                                    > that it doesn't keep long, so it will only be sold in an area
                                    > that buys a lot of this product. Very good when purchased
                                    > and packed "wet" - in its brine.

                                    All of which is reliable evidence that it is not the "real thing."
                                    What the US retailers typically sell is locally produced mash of cow
                                    cheese and feta, seasoned to, as they assume, resemble bryndza.

                                    Slovak and Polish (West Carpathian) bryndza has never seen brine, and
                                    keeps very well -- that was its essence in past centuries: to preserve
                                    the content of sheep milk from the months of its oversupply for
                                    consumption when sheep milk is hardly available.

                                    Martin
                                  • BJLK@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 30, 2008
                                      I've been following this thread of thought carefully because I have been
                                      able to buy bryndza in the Chicago area for quite a while. However, I'm not too
                                      sure about its provenance, because it doesn't seem to be quite the same each
                                      time I find it. Sometimes it is rather mild and resembles cream cheese, and
                                      other times it is more sharp and a little more dry, but still of spreading
                                      consistency. It is apparently repacked from a bulk package into small plastic
                                      tubs that weigh about a half pound, more or less. The cost was $5.49 per
                                      pound the last time I bought some.

                                      I have a few questions:

                                      Because my source is a Polish importer, am I buying a Polish-style bryndza?

                                      Can I use this bryndza when I make bryndzove halusky? (I just came across
                                      an old recipe that I would love to try during the Christmas season).

                                      Any information or comments would be appreciated.

                                      _________________________
                                      B. J. Licko-Keel (_BJLK@..._ (mailto:BJLK@...) )

                                      -------------

                                      In a message dated 11/30/2008 8:40:18 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                                      votrubam@... writes:

                                      > that bryndza is back- There is
                                      > no bryndza like Slovak bryndza

                                      It's not clear where this product has originated. A substitute made
                                      of cow cheese and feta, processed and seasoned to resemble bryndza, is
                                      sold in a limited number of places in the US. A former major Slovak
                                      exporter to the US said in the summer that they were stopping export
                                      to the US (which is not to say that they indeed did). They probably
                                      used to supply all the Slovak bryndza that was commercially available
                                      here.

                                      **************Finally, one site has it all: your friends, your email, your
                                      favorite sites. Try the NEW AOL.com.
                                      (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000006)

                                    • Ben Sorensen
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 30, 2008
                                        Hey there,
                                        I have found a Hungarian that imports Slovak bryndza- and I bet it is hard to be sure that a Pole is or isn't importing Slovak bryndza.  I think people who know Slovenska (majova) bryndza would have to try it and give you their opinion... and I am always looking for an excuse to eat bryndza.  However, Martin's words have lead me to the idea that I will probably decline any American bryndza. Feta is not even close....

                                        It sounds like you are getting two types of mixes here, one more "cut" than the other, and the roll is leading me to think Slovak bryndza.  I am HOPING, as I live on bryndza when I can find it. I have since lost a staple of my diet- bryndza and zincica. What is a fujaras to do???? Slivovica is just not a substitute... :-D
                                        Martin and other Slovaks, please chime in and give me hope....
                                        Ben

                                        ________________________________

                                        ____________ _________ ____
                                        B. J. Licko-Keel (_BJLK@..._ (mailto:BJLK@...) )

                                        ------------ -

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 30, 2008
                                          > It sounds like you are getting two types of mixes here

                                          I'd agree. Perhaps even more.

                                          As to Polish bryndza, BJLK (glad to see you're still on SK-W), if it's
                                          marked as made in Poland and labeled _Podhale_ or _Podhalanska_
                                          bryndza, that would be good. That standard actually pushes it
                                          somewhat closer to traditional bryndza than what's coming out of
                                          Slovakia. Here's a paragraph about the European standardization of
                                          bryndza, and another one about how it is in the US:

                                          <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/bryndza.html>

                                          ... in the middle column.

                                          > I will probably decline any

                                          I agree, Ben, it's quite difficult to know in the absence of
                                          regulations. French fries, Swiss cheese, Hawaiian pizza, Home
                                          cooking... none of that comes from where it says, nor is there any
                                          rule that something labeled "Slovak" or "Polish" needs to be imported
                                          from those countries.

                                          And even when there is regulation... An agency tested salmon in a
                                          number of reputable delis and restaurants in New York a couple of
                                          years ago. Only about two(!) were really selling the fancy, expensive
                                          salmon from where all of them claimed theirs had come while all were
                                          charging the high price, of course.

                                          Martin
                                        • Cathie McAdams
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 1, 2008
                                            The bryndza that I bought Saturday was in a roll.  We had some yesterday for company on sesame crackers with some chives (green onions were a horrible price and the chives were still growing in a flower box on our deck).  Since I do not know any receipes for bryndza, that is the best I could do.

                                            ________________________________
                                            > It sounds like you are getting two types of mixes here

                                            I'd agree. Perhaps even more.

                                            As to Polish bryndza, BJLK (glad to see you're still on SK-W), if it's
                                            marked as made in Poland and labeled _Podhale_ or _Podhalanska_
                                            bryndza, that would be good. That standard actually pushes it
                                            somewhat closer to traditional bryndza than what's coming out of
                                            Slovakia. Here's a paragraph about the European standardization of
                                            bryndza, and another one about how it is in the US:

                                            <http://www.pitt edu/~votruba/ qsonhist/ bryndza.html>

                                            ... in the middle column.

                                            > I will probably decline any

                                            I agree, Ben, it's quite difficult to know in the absence of
                                            regulations. French fries, Swiss cheese, Hawaiian pizza, Home
                                            cooking... none of that comes from where it says, nor is there any
                                            rule that something labeled "Slovak" or "Polish" needs to be imported
                                            from those countries.

                                            And even when there is regulation.. . An agency tested salmon in a
                                            number of reputable delis and restaurants in New York a couple of
                                            years ago. Only about two(!) were really selling the fancy, expensive
                                            salmon from where all of them claimed theirs had come while all were
                                            charging the high price, of course.

                                          • Paw1776
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 1, 2008
                                              If you are referring to the Bryndza sold by Gilmart...I can vouch that I use it all the time to make Brydnzove Halushky....at least whenever I get to Chicago to stock up. I can't vouch that it is authentic...but I think the taste is similar to that which you would find in Slovakia...at least that is what I have been told.

                                              Here is what I found when I googled "where can I buy bryndza":

                                              "I am the owner of Slovak-Czech Variety store in NY and we recently started to import and sell bryndza and other cheeses from Slovakia. Our address: Slovak-Czech Varieties, 10-59 Jackson Ave., Long Island City, NY 11101. Tel.: 718-752-2093, E-mail: info@..., www.slovczechvar.com."

                                              It is currently selling for $13.75 for 500 grams. I did purchase some this spring and it was quite good.

                                              Polly Russinik Walker

                                            • fbican@att.net
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 1, 2008
                                                I know what you mean about the cost of zeleny cibula and chives. The last time I bought them, they were both terribly expensive. I sowed some chive seeds that I had into some potting soil in one of my little terrariums, and have my finger crossed they come up.

                                                As for syr, I love it, and I'm pretty open-minded about what I'll try. I had some applewood-smoked cheddar for breakfast. The best syr I've found comes from Wisconsin, Vermont, and Holland. I'm looking forward to serving the gouda with basil (Dutch) and cotswald with onions (England) on crackers or raz chlieb during the holidays. I fail to see how that could possibly be bad.

                                                As an aside, I knew a gent whose favorite snack was a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onions. His wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

                                                I've got 6 different varieties of syr in the fridge at the moment. I guess that makes me a certifiable "cheese head"!

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Dec 1, 2008
                                                  Hello BJLK-
                                                  You can use it for bryndzove halusky most likely... and I will be right over. What is your address? :-)

                                                  I have yet to get bryndza here but I have the same contact in NY as someone else referenced. I know that thier supplier is actually Hungarian and in NY, and he told me that he imports it from the Liptov/Podpolanie area. I hope it is true... and I may have to break down and get some....
                                                  Ben

                                                  ________________________________

                                                  votrubam@yahoo. com writes:

                                                  > that bryndza is back- There is
                                                  > no bryndza like Slovak bryndza

                                                  It's not clear where this product has originated. A substitute made
                                                  of cow cheese and feta, processed and seasoned to resemble bryndza, is
                                                  sold in a limited number of places in the US. A former major Slovak
                                                  exporter to the US said in the summer that they were stopping export
                                                  to the US (which is not to say that they indeed did). They probably
                                                  used to supply all the Slovak bryndza that was commercially available
                                                  here.

                                                • William C. Wormuth
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Dec 1, 2008
                                                    is the name "Buta toth" Bryndza?

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Dec 1, 2008
                                                      Actually, if there is none available, the mix with feta is not bad.
                                                       Don't be afraid to try the Ukrainian deli selections.  In Albany, NY they had three brands:  Ukrainian, Bulgarian and Romanian.  I selected Bulgarian because it was closest in odor to ours.
                                                      Since there are different "brands" from  different areas in Slovakia, each of us would have a different special choice.
                                                      It cost $3.75 a pound but was worth it.  I bought fro myself and two friends, both Krajani.  THEY WERE SUPER HAPPY, as was I.  Thus, I understand all of these messages in the thread.

                                                      Hope you all find a source!
                                                      Vilo