Re: [Slovak-World] New file uploaded to Slovak-World

  • Jan Lan
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 26, 2003
      At 03:00 PM 1/26/2003 +0000, you wrote:

      >Hello,
      >
      >This email message is a notification to let you know that
      >a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Slovak-World
      >group.
      >
      > File : /SW.txt
      > Uploaded by : pwolsko <pwolsko@...>
      > Description : List members of SW (Zvolen server)
      >
      >You can access this file at the URL

      >To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit
      >
      ><http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/files>http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/files
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >pwolsko <pwolsko@...>

      Tim looks great in the police uniform. You might try wearing one. ;-)

      Janko

      Janko

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • barbbaba
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 26, 2003
        I received a message from the group that said -
        "
        >You can access this file at the URL

        >"

        but when I click on that page it tells me my profile is not valid.....and no matter what I put in the spot provided it won't let me go farther.... I keep asking "WHAT IS A PROFILE"?
        I've tried entering little password type entried like different "cute" names etc and it keeps saying that that one is already used......NO WAY!
        I've made up totally bizaare answers and it still says that one has already been used.

        WHAT DO THEY WANT FROM ME?

        Barbara - Uprooting family trees
        in Sacramento

      • Jan Lan
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 26, 2003
          At 01:58 PM 1/26/2003 -0800, you wrote:
          >I received a message from the group that said -
          >"
          > >You can access this file at the URL

          > >"
          >
          >but when I click on that page it tells me my profile is not valid.....and
          >no matter what I put in the spot provided it won't let me go
          >farther.... I keep asking "WHAT IS A PROFILE"?
          >I've tried entering little password type entried like different "cute"
          >names etc and it keeps saying that that one is already used......NO WAY!
          >I've made up totally bizaare answers and it still says that one has
          >already been used.
          >
          >WHAT DO THEY WANT FROM ME?

          Your money or your life? ;-) I notice you're the only member listed as
          profile pending. Perhaps you've made some changes in your profile and they
          are holding until your profile is approved. Try copying the URL and then
          pasting it into your browser window to see if that will get you through.
          This message came through Yahoo and you're listed as a member (under
          suspicion)so, just relax for a day or so and see if it straightens out or
          you could contact Yahoo. Good luck.

          Janko

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • barbbaba
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 15 5:51 PM
            I was able to open up this Patriot file....now....if I see a familiar
            name....what does this tell me? My ancestor was a patriot?
            I'm looking at ID#585 name is Jan Talaj and the location is Lakewood.

            My great grandfather was Jan Talaji who ended up in Pittsburgh PA.....he
            might have been in Lakewood at one time (I'm assuming that's a town in
            OH)....I never knew him to be in Ohio but I know he came first and his
            family followed...so I can assume taht perhaps he started in OH but was in
            PA by the time his wife and kiddles arrived.

            I'd appreciate some guiadance. thanx
          • FlorianCJr@wmconnect.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 16 1:09 AM
              Barbara;

              Lakewood is a suburb to the west of Cleveland where many Slovaks settled. My
              Dad and his brothers were born there.

              Regards,

              Florian

              In a message dated 7/15/03 8:52:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              barbbaba@... writes:

              > I was able to open up this Patriot file....now....if I see a familiar
              > name....what does this tell me? My ancestor was a patriot?
              > I'm looking at ID#585 name is Jan Talaj and the location is Lakewood.
              >
              > My great grandfather was Jan Talaji who ended up in Pittsburgh PA.....he
              > might have been in Lakewood at one time (I'm assuming that's a town in
              > OH)....I never knew him to be in Ohio but I know he came first and his
              > family followed...so I can assume taht perhaps he started in OH but was in
              > PA by the time his wife and kiddles arrived.
              >
              > I'd appreciate some guiadance. thanx
              > Barbara - Uprooting family trees
              > in Sacramento

            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 16 2:38 AM
                Dear Barbara,
                If you can find a link between your family and this person, then yes.
                Vladimir

                > I was able to open up this Patriot file....now....if I see a familiar
                > name....what does this tell me? My ancestor was a patriot?
                > I'm looking at ID#585 name is Jan Talaj and the location is
                Lakewood.

                > My great grandfather was Jan Talaji who ended up in Pittsburgh PA.....he
                > might have been in Lakewood at one time (I'm assuming that's a town in
                > OH)....I never knew him to be in Ohio but I know he came first and his
                > family followed...so I can assume taht perhaps he started in OH but was in
                > PA by the time his wife and kiddles arrived.
                >
                > I'd appreciate some guiadance. thanx
                > Barbara - Uprooting family trees
                > in Sacramento

              • Jan Lan
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 16 8:06 AM
                  At 11:38 AM 7/16/2003 +0200, you wrote:
                  >Dear Barbara,
                  >If you can find a link between your family and this person, then yes.
                  >Vladimir

                  That may depend on how the term patriot is defined by the author. I don't
                  believe Vlad has clarified that yet. What was different about these
                  American Slovaks from the thousands of others in the US?

                  Janko
                • Vladimir Bohinc
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 16 9:04 AM
                    Dear Janko,
                    What was different;
                    The difference was, that they were not known to the author, whether they
                    were
                    Patriots.
                    This is the list of identified ones.The book includes not only those, who
                    were in the States, but from all over the world.
                    The book was sent directly to a person, with request to correct any possible
                    mistakes in personal data.
                    Sale of the book was prohibited.
                    I took another look at it; some data were also obtained from the so called
                    Black lists of the Hungarian police and lists of members of different
                    patriotic societies and clubs.
                    Author divides them in three groups:
                    -silent
                    -careful
                    -advanced/exposed
                    I did not include his signs in this listing.
                    Author also equals Narodovec = Panslav
                    So, the movement was Panslavism.
                    Author also cites a long list of his informers.
                    Author also says, that the book was finished in sept.1940, but could not be
                    published because of censorship.
                    Author is also publisher.
                    Vladimir

                    > >If you can find a link between your family and this person, then yes.
                    > >Vladimir

                  • Jan Lan
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 16 10:25 AM
                      At 06:04 PM 7/16/2003 +0200, you wrote:
                      >Dear Janko,
                      >What was different;
                      >The difference was, that they were not known to the author, whether they
                      >were
                      >Patriots.
                      >This is the list of identified ones.The book includes not only those, who
                      >were in the States, but from all over the world.
                      >The book was sent directly to a person, with request to correct any possible
                      >mistakes in personal data.
                      >Sale of the book was prohibited.
                      >I took another look at it; some data were also obtained from the so called
                      >Black lists of the Hungarian police and lists of members of different
                      >patriotic societies and clubs.
                      >Author divides them in three groups:
                      >-silent
                      >-careful
                      >-advanced/exposed
                      >I did not include his signs in this listing.
                      >Author also equals Narodovec = Panslav
                      >So, the movement was Panslavism.
                      >Author also cites a long list of his informers.
                      >Author also says, that the book was finished in sept.1940, but could not be
                      >published because of censorship.
                      >Author is also publisher.
                      >Vladimir

                      Thank you. I have a much better picture now. It was a little too hazy for
                      me before. I guess I'll have to read some history to see how Panslavism
                      fit into the Slovak and Czechoslovak picture. I thought they had a little
                      fear of the movement but maybe it was the Hungarians that feared it.

                      Janko
                    • Paw1776
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 17, 2008
                        Yes, all the units are standard measurements...
                        c = cup
                        tsp = teaspoon
                        Tbs = tablespoon

                        Sorry that wasn't clear.

                        Polly

                      • Edie Sando
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 19, 2009
                          Hi! I tried to find Skeeter's Cook Book and clicked on the link below and got this message:
                          "The requested file or directory is not found on the server."

                          Help!
                          Laskavy Prosim
                          edie

                          a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Slovak-World
                          group.

                          File : /Skeeters' Cook Book/Skeeter.txt
                          Uploaded by : ddhalusker <ddhalusker@...>
                          Description : Paprikash

                          You can access this file at the URL:

                          Regards,

                          ddhalusker <ddhalusker@...>

                        • Michelle Burke
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 19, 2009
                            It worked for me -- you should probably just try again.

                            ________________________________

                            a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Slovak-World
                            group.

                            File : /Skeeters' Cook Book/Skeeter. txt
                            Uploaded by : ddhalusker <ddhalusker@alltel. net>
                            Description : Paprikash

                            You can access this file at the URL:
                            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Slovak- World/files/ Skeeters% 27%20Cook% 20Book/Skeeter. txt

                            http://help. yahoo.com/ l/us/yahoo/ groups/original/ members/web/ index.htmlfiles

                            Regards,

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 19, 2009
                              Thanks, this time it worked. Computer glitches!

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 2, 2009
                                Dear Ben,

                                Perhaps you should explain a little about how the three holes in a fujara can produce a "normal" octave.  And then point out that the placement of the fingers for a "G" on a "G" fujara are ambiguous either all three holes are covered or they can be open.  The "G" is still played, however, you have to be very careful, the tone might break and you'll get something else, like "C" and a few other harmonics.

                                It is still a very masterful playing of the instrument.\

                                Perhaps we post the picture of "Dueling

                                Dr. "Q"

                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 23, 2009
                                  I wanted to make an announcement of the launching of the site about my
                                  ancestral village in Slovakia.

                                  It is in the founding stages, but I have posted the site
                                  http://www.certizne.com and am hoping that others will add geneological and
                                  historical information that they might have regarding the village.

                                  Nick Sekela

                                • Greg
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 24, 2009
                                    Nick:

                                    Back in the 1990's we did a site for our ancestral village
                                    with the help of a cousin, Charles Stanislaw.

                                    http://www.iarelative.com/porac/

                                    Over the years we have reached thousands of Porac people.

                                    I hope you have the same success we had.

                                    Greg

                                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "NJ SEKELA" <nick@...> wrote:

                                    > I wanted to make an announcement of the launching of the site about my
                                    > ancestral village in Slovakia.
                                    >

                                    > It is in the founding stages, but I have posted the site
                                    > http://www.certizne.com and am hoping that others will add geneological and
                                    > historical information that they might have regarding the village.
                                    >

                                    > Nick Sekela

                                  • helene cincebeaux
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 24, 2009
                                      hi Nick - this is super!!!!! it looks really nice - I have seven inidividuals in Slovak Pride data base who list about a dozen surnames in Certizne - if you would like to be in touch let me know. I also knew a museum director in Humenne who has roots in that village, another good contact.

                                      What a great idea! Many villages have sites but rarely in English.
                                      Good Luck!

                                      helene

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 30, 2009
                                        Helene--It was great to meet you in Pittsburgh. Tom has had some unexpected health issues (blood clots in lungs)that may prevent our travel to Slovakia next summer. Will you be planning a trip to the Spis area the following year? I have learned more surnames --from Lackova--Schmidt, Roth, Muller, Osvald (Oswald) through the LDS church records. Thanks,

                                        Allison J. Batchelor

                                        7701 Angel Ridge Road
                                        Athens, Ohio 45701-9602
                                        (740) 594-4567 phone
                                        (740) 594-4568 fax

                                        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 1, 2009
                                          Hi Allison, Pretty sure we will be goimg in 2011. Thanks for the new surnames - have you contacted the Slovak Pride listers i sent you - i am sure you are all connected. Lackova was famed for basket making!

                                          helene

                                          ________________________________

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 4, 2011
                                            Vilo

                                            Thank y ou for that information. I don't think many people take that into consideration or think it a possibility when researching. I know I would never look for the name Paulov/Pavlov, but now I will. Very deceiving and something everyone should keep in the back of their head when researching. Thanks for the phonetic spelling of your names too, that helped alot.

                                            Have a good night!

                                            Peggy

                                            Apr 4, 2011 06:12:45 PM, Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                            In Kúty, (Zahorie, western Slovakia), we have many families, whose names are the
                                            same but who are not related. I The distant past, identities were made by
                                            applying a "nickname", known to us as "prezvisko" [prehz-vee-skoh].

                                            My grandmother was Polák - Lulut [Poh-lahk - Luh-luht] and her mother was
                                            Valachovic~ - Kuc`erka [Vahlah- kho- veec h - Kooh-chehrr-kah].

                                            This can be very confusing to people because this info is sometimes included in
                                            the original manifests.on Ellis Island.

                                            Z Bohom,

                                            Vilo

                                            ________________________________
                                            a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Slovak-World
                                            group.

                                            File : /PRESOV ARCHIVE/LETTER.jpg
                                            Uploaded by : phillypeg1201 <mcl60@...>
                                            Description : Letter

                                            You can access this file at the URL:

                                            Regards,

                                            phillypeg1201 <mcl60@...>

                                          • William C. Wormuth
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 4, 2011
                                              Peggy,

                                              Paulov and Pavlov are the same name. Most probably, the "u" came in because
                                              Hungarians used Latin in Official documents. Additionally, it YThe "u" could
                                              have been a "v' but misread as a "u".

                                              Your Grandmother Maria's last name was Papinc~ak, (a little "v" over the c),
                                              [Pah-peen-chah-k], Hungarian cs has a ch sound.

                                              Hello to my old friend, Joe Armata and where is our Fujarista,

                                              Z Bohom,

                                              Vilo

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
                                                Yes.  Where has Ben been?  And Helen?  @ LoC?