Frank: More about life on the farm

    Message 1 of 48 , Nov 24 12:16 PM
      Koscilek needed some money, so he decided to get some from the chest. Pil'arek unlocked it for him and...there was no money. When Koscilek asked the Pil'areks what had happened to it, they told him not to be mad, that they'd used it to pay off the debt on the farm and then had bought some needed things with the rest, reminding him that it was all his as well as theirs. So Koscilek was now without money, without a contract [deed?], and without anything written, either in English or Polish, that he'd lent them money. It was only their spoken word that they were all owners.

      Now Mrs. Pil'arek's younger sister had arrived and Koscilek had no money. Before, the Pil'areks had called Koscilek "Mr. Koscilek", "Mr. Kmoter" (<kmoter> is the dialect form of what you'd call your child's godfather--a very close relationship), and sometimes "Brother-in-Law". But now that he didn't have any money, Pil'arek started to get bossier and more argumentative. Later, they told the sister not to talk to him very much, and it came to Koscilek sleeping in the barn and coming in for breakfast before clearing land of shrubs and pines all day. He was now being ordered around like a servant, and even though he was small and Pil'arek a big man, Koscilek was the one doing the heavy work.

      Koscilek was treated (and fed) worse and worse in hopes that he'd get mad and just leave on his own. Koscilek saw that the Pil'areks were selling butter, eggs, chickens, and ducks, but not giving him a penny, even though he worked for free every day. He figured that if he went to work in Portland, he'd get paid, while he had to work for free on the farm.

      One day, when Koscilek asked Pil'arek for some money so he could go into town and look for some sort of work, Pil'arek pulled out a half-dollar and gave it to Koscilek. Koscilek said, "This is all you're giving me?" to which Pil'arek answered that Koscilek was stupid: he was always giving and the smart one always taking. Pil'arek "showed him 5 fingers and his palm was number 6." Koscilek left in tears and walked into town.

    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 48 of 48 , Dec 2, 2008
        Yes, I saw the movie many years ago and it was OK. Never read the book though.