Found 2 new books of Czech/Slovak writers!

  • Claudia Medvik
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2003
      Hi!

      Found 2 books at the Macomb County College Library on Slovak Czech/Slovak
      authors! I was looking for culture and anthropology books, but found these
      instead.

      "Czech and Slovak Short Stories" translated by Jeanne W. Nemcova; a London
      Oxford University Press book. A tiny little book with a story by Nemcova,
      Neruda, Herrmann, Vaclav Rais, Olbracht, Hasek, Capek, Polacek, Pujmanova,
      Hrabal, Drda, Askenazy, Skvorecky, Lustig, Nesvadba, Klima, Hykrisch,
      Blazkova, Benes, Linhartova. Can't tell the Czechs from the Slovaks. But
      they have a more 'English' friendly translation and read delightfully.

      "The Linden Tree" An Anthology of Czech and Slovak Literature 1890-1960
      translated by my favorite author Ellis Peters!! This one has Czech and
      Slovaks are seperated and the book is big and 2" thick! Plenty of enjoyment
      to read. I love libraries!

      Just wish there were 'peasant' authors, not the just the educated. Never
      realized what a snob I was about writers. Real life memoirs can't be beat no
      matter the language skills and golden pen. Guess is truth versus beauty.

      wish I could find more stories like the Grisak memoir! But I'll settle for
      these treasures!

      Claudia