bozena nemcova

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      If you really want to get technical, Bozena Nemcova was actually neither
      Czech nor Slovak: she was born in Austria. at the time of the Austrian
      Empire. She is described as having left behind Czech and Slovak fairy tales.
      perhaps Granny is written when she lived in Ratiborice, which is in the
      Czech Republic. but in 1848, she traveled into Slovakia and gathered much of
      her folklore and local tales to create many of her future novels. How can
      one say that this may or may not be Slovak?
    • Matchett
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2003
        Bozena Nemcova was compared with our Willa Cather at a session of the
        CGSI Conf. in Lincoln, NE in '99 given by Dr. Mila Saskova-Pierce,
        Univ. of Nebraska. The two authors dealt with the human condition of
        women. Cather was interested in the agricultural American frontier and
        wrote about its immigrants, including Czechs or Bohemians and their
        culture. Nemcova was interested in the rural life of Czech women
        during the first half of the 19th century. Both Cather's and Nemcova's
        characters were strong women.

        I bought the book "Babic~ka" by Nemcova, last summer, written in
        Slovak. I remember my mother long ago enjoyed this book. If she were
        alive today and could read it to me, I would understand it but to read
        it myself is very difficult--stopping to look up a word now and then or
        to skip an unknown word in order to move on--that is the question.

        Julia Matchett