Re: [Slovak-World] (Fairly) new Slovak book

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2003
      the very first book i read about Slovakia was called "Granny" and was written
      some time ago by the author Bozena Nemcova. it was the most fascinating book
      as it described walks through the woods, what the forest trees ooked like,
      the flowers and all of the animals. it seemed to just be a delight to
      imagine the times it was written in. it was the first time i had ever heard
      the word "weir" mentioned and had to use a dictionary to learn what it was.
      it was written a long time ago and used most of their terms.
      you can get it by requesting it at the local library if they belong to a
      chain.
      Noreen
    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2003
        Got some news for you. Bozena Nemcova was a Czech writer and the story was
        about Czechs and not Slovaks at all.

        Vladi

        At 06:16 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
        >the very first book i read about Slovakia was called "Granny" and was written
        >some time ago by the author Bozena Nemcova. it was the most fascinating book
        >as it described walks through the woods, what the forest trees ooked like,
        >the flowers and all of the animals. it seemed to just be a delight to
        >imagine the times it was written in. it was the first time i had ever heard
        >the word "weir" mentioned and had to use a dictionary to learn what it was.
        >it was written a long time ago and used most of their terms.
        >you can get it by requesting it at the local library if they belong to a
        >chain.
        >Noreen
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705103562:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>18fbde8.jpg
        >18fbe06.jpg

      • Gergely
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2003
          You would think that someone who has such a poor command of a language he
          has spoken and written for over 30 years would not be so quick to criticize
          people who are engaged in a literary learning experience.

          Jack Gergely
          Newport News

        • nhasior@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2003
            Jack,
            my friend's grandmother had some china and some canisters for flour and sugar
            etc. that were stamped "Made in Czechoslovakia". my grandparents obituaries
            read that they were from Czechoslovakia. that they were survived by
            brothers and sisters living in Czechoslovakia. until very recently, our
            family and our heritage were not really concerned with which side of the
            country they came from. Not technically, they considered themselves
            Austrian citizens of Czechoslovakian heritage. but i love the fact that on
            the census, they write Slovakland. i think that they would be so proud of
            the fact that Slovak Republic is finally on its own.
            Noreen
          • Vladimir Linder
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2003
              You got it all wrong. I wasn't criticizing at all. But when someone refers
              to it, as about Slovakia? Well it is not.

              So what is your problem then?

            • Vladimir Linder
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2003
                Frankly Scarlet...Jacko from Newport News??? Wow!!!

                If you will have at least half of such a command of Slovak language after
                30 years as I have of English, I will congratulate you.

                In the mean time TAKE HIKE OF A STEEP CLIFF as you have no clue what you
                are talking about.

                Vladi