Re: [Slovak-World] (unknown)

    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 10, 2008
      O.k., I think I found the source of the Wikipedia info. In _Slovakia and the Slovaks: A Concise Encyclopedia_ (1994), the article on the "Slovak Educated Brotherhood," which is basically a translation of the _ES_ article, with a smidge more info, says that the SUT was founded in 1792. "The brotherhood disintegrated due to unfavorable social and national conditions at the beginning of the 19th century. However, its attempts were developed further by a younger generation of --> Bernolak's follwers."

      So I went to that source's article on Bernolak to see what further info there might be. Here's the last sentence: "[Bernolak's language] was the basis of the activities of the --> Slovak Educated Brotherhood and of the whole movement of Bernolak's followers which lasted three generations."

      The very next article, "Bernolak's followers," gives all the info for which you're looking. It's too long for me to retype, so I scanned it and uploaded it in the files section. It's called "Bernolak's followers".

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 11/10/2008 1:27 PM >>>
      I found the same.... but on Wikipedia- which is either a cesspool or a godsend depending on the article- they say the SUT lasted three generations. (This is under the Anton Bernolak entry, as the SUT has no entry.)

      I will look through more books here too- I really wonder! It is also possible that the "song" I have was NOT written by the same Jesensky.
      Ben

      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 14, 2008
        Ahoj, Julie--

        FWIW, last night I watched John Water's "Female Trouble". It stunk! I have to be more judicious about what I rent in the future. Maybe I should just stick to PG-13. LOL!! I think my days of watching bizzare movies are over.

        Lakavy prosim,

        --Skeeter

        -------------- Original message from Julie Michutka <jmm@...>: --------------

        Y'know, I was looking forward to that movie (Bathory), but now I think
        I'll pass.... Dunno why I thought a movie about someone who murders
        and bathes in blood would be interesting, lol. The music was lovely,
        tho', thanks for pointing us to it.

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...