Re: [Slovak-World] Gold and the army

  • Margo Smith
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 3, 2008
      My paragraphs are also complete.

      --- On Fri, 10/31/08, Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Gold and the army
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, October 31, 2008, 7:56 AM

      I'll try to break up my paragraphs to make them shorter. It is an odd problem though.

      >>> "Andy V...." <avyrostko@verizon. net> 10/31/2008 7:51 AM >>>

      Looked at my copy of Helen's post and both paragraphs are complete on my
      copy with neither paragraph being truncated... as info,
      I use Thunderbird as my mail handler...

      regards andy v....

      Joe Armata wrote:

> [...]
      > trying to find out if this just happens for me, in which case it's
      > Pitt's email system, or if this happens to everyone, in which case it's
      > Yahoo? Could a few people check their mailboxes and let me know? If I
      > go to the Yahoo group online, I can see the rest of the paragraphs.
      >
      > Thanks for checking,
      > Joe
      >
      > *******
      > The newspaper said that a lot of people were finding gold in the nearby
      > mountains. There were 2 Slovaks in Portland, one from Zemplin and one
      > from S~aris~. The Zemplin man knew English well, but had little money,
      > so the 2 fellows and Frank went prospecting for gold together. Frank
      > left off working on the ship and went to live in the house where the
      > Slovaks lived. One Sunday, Frank forgot to take his money out of the
      > pockets of his everyday pants when he hung them up on a nail in his
      > room. He went to church because the next day he and the fellows were
      > heading far out into the mountains. On Monday morning, Frank found that
      > $25 was missing from his pants pockets. He kept thinking that it was the
      > man from Zemplin and no longer wanted to go with them to prospect for
      > gold in the mountains. The fellow from S~aris~ had over $200 and Frank
      > had his money in the bank. He'd wanted to withdraw his money on Monday,
      > but when his money was stolen, he got mad. He and the S~aris~ fellow
      > decided to jo
      >
      > One day the 3 fellows went outside of town to a large barracks and went
      > into the recuiting office. Frank was the first one in and said "Good
      > morning" in English, at which point 3 officers stood up and said "Good
      > morning" back. Frank told one of the officers that the 3 of them were
      > from Portland and wanted to join the army. The officer said that was
      > fine, but needed the men to bring documents as to where they had worked
      > and what kind of work they'd been doing for the past 6 months. Frank
      > "had his citizenship papers with him, which he'd gotten recently from
      > the town, but the others had to have them or get them from where they
      > worked." [What type of <obc~an~ske papire> were these?] The S~aris~
      > fellow worked at a brickyard, so he could get the papers, but the other
      > fellow couldn't have gotten them, because he wandered from town to town.
      > The officers told the fellows that there was now a federal <? krajinske>
      > law that the army couldn't induct any man until he had
      >
      > The fellows returned to Portland and Frank went to see Wise, to tell him
      > that he was enlisting. Both Wise and Mrs. Wise tried hard to talk Frank
      > out of it. Frank and the fellows went back to their place, other Slovaks
      > came over, and they all chipped in for a keg of beer and a box of
      > cigars. They drank, sang, and smoked cigars until 4am as a farewell. It
      > was 10:30 when the fellows woke up, so they figured it was too late to
      > go to the recuriting office. That was the end of their soldiering.

    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
        Thanks Margo - but I see you're using a Yahoo email account, so the email never leaves Yahoo to get to you. Anybody else who has a non-Yahoo email account?

        Joe

      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
          Hey Joe,
          sent one to my hotmail acct, and it also truncated! I am at a loss as to why.
          Ben

          Thanks Margo - but I see you're using a Yahoo email account, so the email never leaves Yahoo to get to you. Anybody else who has a non-Yahoo email account?

          Joe

        • Darlene Dunat
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
            I have been asking in several emails for the past two weeks to be
            unsubscribed. PLEASE take care of this.

            _____

            --- On Tue, 11/4/08, Armata, Joseph R <armata+@pitt.

            From: Armata, Joseph R <armata+@pitt. <mailto:armata%2B%40pitt.edu> edu>
            To: "Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com"
            <Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2008, 9:42 AM

            Thanks Margo - but I see you're using a Yahoo email account, so the email
            never leaves Yahoo to get to you. Anybody else who has a non-Yahoo email
            account?

            Joe

          • Lil Junas
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
              I have gmail. Have noticed that when I respond to a S-W e-mail, it doesn't
              get through. That is, I never see it among my S-W e-mails. I'm copying this
              to your personal e-mail to check if this reply will come via S-W. Any
              suggestions?
              Lil Junas

              "To be nobody but myself."
              www.ljunas.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
                Hello,

                Sorry for the message. I thought that I was emailing a "reply" to a
                different web site that I also belong to. But I don't wish to be
                unsubscribed from Slovak World. I must have pressed the wrong key, because
                I don't wish to be unsubscribed from S-W.

                Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

                Best regards,

                John e. Polko

                From: Armata, Joseph R <armata+@pitt. <mailto:armata%2B%40pitt.edu> edu>
                To: "Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
                yahoogroups.com"
                <Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2008, 9:42 AM

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 4, 2008
                  Lil, Gmail is kind of funny about that. If you send an email to a list, it regards your copy of the incoming email as a duplicate and deletes it from the Inbox. Try clicking on All Mail instead of Inbox, and you might see your own posts there. Here's some info from the web:

                  "Gmail's fundamental unit of organization is the conversation, not the message, and in filing messages into conversations, Gmail removes duplicates. If you get the same message from more than one list, Gmail keeps the one it received first and discards the rest. Similarly, if the message is already in your Sent Mail view, it discards the incoming copies."

                  Joe