Re: [Slovak-World] Re: facebook

  • fbican@att.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
      Dennis is entirely correct. An account on FaceBook is easy to set up, and free. I skipped the options for age, high school, college, and city. I like searching it, but I'm not keen about putting too much personal information publicly out on the 'net. That might limit my contacts, but so be it.

      Laskavy prosim,

      Skeeter

      -------------- Original message from "Dennis Ragan" <dragansk@...>: --------------

      Facebook is what's called a "social media" website. It's designed for
      people to connect with each other and share ideas, photos, video,
      whatever. It's similar to MySpace, but its participants are on
      average a little older -- members are mostly their 20s and 30s, but
      there are also lots of others who are older.

      Basically you just set up an account that's linked to an email
      address. You provide information about yourself, a picture, etc. As I
      recall, it will ask you for your high school, college and city
      information, then will show you people whom you might want to have as
      Facebook "friends." I have connected with several old classmates this
      way. You can also search for people by name.

      Some Facebook participants may choose not to accept you as a friend.
      Others have their accounts hidden so that they can't be found because
      they want to share have as friends only those they know and want in
      their group. The thing about Facebook is that when you have a network
      of friends there, you basically share everything you choose to share
      with all your friends in the group.

      I've been on Facebook for about 9 months. I just posted some of my
      photos from my recent trip there, and allowed the friends in my group
      to see it.

      Another aspect of Facebooks are its groups. There are numerous groups
      on all kinds of topics, includia Slovakia and related topics. The
      groups are similar to discussion groups, except that I don't believe
      you can have messages sent to your email (I could be wrong about
      this). There are people from of all over the world on Facebook,
      including many Slovaks.

      For me Facebook is more for the younger crowd, but it's still an
      excellent medium for everyone for discovery, sharing and finding
      people. I recommend trying it.

      Dennis

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Claudia Medvik <cmmedvik@...> wrote:

      > I know this sounds dumb, but how does facebook work??
      >
      > Claudia
      >

      > To: Slovak-World@...: ksisitka@...: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 06:37:04
      -0400Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] facebook

      > Yes, Facebook is a great tool. I have found 3 of my distant cousins
      in Slovakia.Also found a cousin that I had lost contact with in the
      States.On 30 Oct 08, at 12:05 PM, Elaine Chromeck wrote:> I joined
      facebook recently--not intending to use it for genealogy > research,
      but was surprised to find the nephew of one of my > relatives. Since
      he's on the younger side he writes English very > well and was most
      excited to having been located. facebook could be > a good resource
      for others searching for family.>> Elaine>> [Non-text portions of this
      message have been removed]>>> [Non-text portions of this message have
      been removed]

    • Scott Mikusko
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
        Facebook is easy and convenient. I wasn't a big social networking
        user, but it keeps me in touch with many friends and family. I
        connected with a lot of cousins. Granted FB is overwhelmingly high
        school and college age kids, the past year many 'adults' have joined.

        For professionals, the counterpart site is LinkedIn.com, but that's
        more business networking.

        -S