Re: [Slovak-World] facebook

  • Ken Sisitka
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1 3:37 AM
      Yes, Facebook is a great tool. I have found 3 of my distant cousins
      in Slovakia.
      Also found a cousin that I had lost contact with in the States.

      On 30 Oct 08, at 12:05 PM, Elaine Chromeck wrote:

      > I joined facebook recently--not intending to use it for genealogy
      > research, but was surprised to find the nephew of one of my
      > relatives. Since he's on the younger side he writes English very
      > well and was most excited to having been located. facebook could be
      > a good resource for others searching for family.
      >
      > Elaine

    • Claudia Medvik
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1 9:16 PM
        I know this sounds dumb, but how does facebook work??

        Claudia

        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.comFrom: ksisitka@...: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 06:37:04 -0400Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] facebook

        Yes, Facebook is a great tool. I have found 3 of my distant cousins in Slovakia.Also found a cousin that I had lost contact with in the States.On 30 Oct 08, at 12:05 PM, Elaine Chromeck wrote:> I joined facebook recently--not intending to use it for genealogy > research, but was surprised to find the nephew of one of my > relatives. Since he's on the younger side he writes English very > well and was most excited to having been located. facebook could be > a good resource for others searching for family.>> Elaine>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2 4:19 AM
          Please explain how this works in locating someone in Slovakia if you don't
          know their email address or first name? Thanks...
          Sharon

          In a message dated 11/1/2008 4:37:23 A.M. Central Standard Time,
          ksisitka@... writes:

          Yes, Facebook is a great tool. I have found 3 of my distant cousins
          in Slovakia.
          Also found a cousin that I had lost contact with in the States.

          On 30 Oct 08, at 12:05 PM, Elaine Chromeck wrote:

          > I joined facebook recently--not intending to use it for genealogy
          > research, but was surprised to find the nephew of one of my
          > relatives. Since he's on the younger side he writes English very
          > well and was most excited to having been located. facebook could be
          > a good resource for others searching for family.
          >
          > Elaine

        • Dennis Ragan
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2 5:50 AM
            Facebook is what's called a "social media" website. It's designed for
            people to connect with each other and share ideas, photos, video,
            whatever. It's similar to MySpace, but its participants are on
            average a little older -- members are mostly their 20s and 30s, but
            there are also lots of others who are older.

            Basically you just set up an account that's linked to an email
            address. You provide information about yourself, a picture, etc. As I
            recall, it will ask you for your high school, college and city
            information, then will show you people whom you might want to have as
            Facebook "friends." I have connected with several old classmates this
            way. You can also search for people by name.

            Some Facebook participants may choose not to accept you as a friend.
            Others have their accounts hidden so that they can't be found because
            they want to share have as friends only those they know and want in
            their group. The thing about Facebook is that when you have a network
            of friends there, you basically share everything you choose to share
            with all your friends in the group.

            I've been on Facebook for about 9 months. I just posted some of my
            photos from my recent trip there, and allowed the friends in my group
            to see it.

            Another aspect of Facebooks are its groups. There are numerous groups
            on all kinds of topics, includia Slovakia and related topics. The
            groups are similar to discussion groups, except that I don't believe
            you can have messages sent to your email (I could be wrong about
            this). There are people from of all over the world on Facebook,
            including many Slovaks.

            For me Facebook is more for the younger crowd, but it's still an
            excellent medium for everyone for discovery, sharing and finding
            people. I recommend trying it.

            Dennis

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Claudia Medvik <cmmedvik@...> wrote:

            > I know this sounds dumb, but how does facebook work??
            >
            > Claudia
            >

            > To: Slovak-World@...: ksisitka@...: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 06:37:04
            -0400Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] facebook

          • fbican@att.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2 7:54 AM
              Dennis is entirely correct. An account on FaceBook is easy to set up, and free. I skipped the options for age, high school, college, and city. I like searching it, but I'm not keen about putting too much personal information publicly out on the 'net. That might limit my contacts, but so be it.

              Laskavy prosim,

              Skeeter

              -------------- Original message from "Dennis Ragan" <dragansk@...>: --------------

            • Scott Mikusko
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2 11:05 AM
                Facebook is easy and convenient. I wasn't a big social networking
                user, but it keeps me in touch with many friends and family. I
                connected with a lot of cousins. Granted FB is overwhelmingly high
                school and college age kids, the past year many 'adults' have joined.

                For professionals, the counterpart site is LinkedIn.com, but that's
                more business networking.

                -S