The further adventures of Frank and George

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 2008
      Frank went back to working on the ship and was joined by George Patzka, who'd returned. They worked together all fall and winter. Once, when they were in a saloon, they met an Englishman whom Frank knew well from back in his days of working at the saloon. At one point, the Englishman had spent 2 years in the mountains working in gold mines, where he made $10,000. He went from one town to another, spending his money bigtime. When Frank was still working at the saloon, the Englishman would spend $12-20 each time he came in, treating those he knew and those he didn't, because the $10,000 was easy come--easy go. The Englishman said he was going back into the mountains to look for silver and gold mines, and invited Frank and George to come with him. He said he'd be going back to the same place where he made his $10,000 in 2 years. So at the end of April 1889, Frank and George quit working on the ship, bought themselves horses, and went to Spokane, Washington.

      From Spokane, they went to another town 186 miles away and bought equipment and food for 4 months. They came to the spot they were looking for and found 4 places where they found ore. The named all 4 of these places and went into town to register them. There was an old man [in town?] who'd been a captain on sailing ships and who had 2 good claims. He took the fellows to his claims and they took him to theirs. Now they were 4 in their group, with 6 claims among them.

      About 200 miles from the claims was a town that burned down, with $15 million in damage. Frank and George decided to go to this town to look for work and come back to their claims in the spring. The old captain stayed at the claims all winter, while the young Englishman went off in one direction, and Frank and George went off to the town that had burned down. They went to the shack they'd built at the claim and greased all their equipment with bear fat before wrapping it in deerskin. They buried it in the ground, inside the shack, and boarded up the door and window.

      Two days earlier, Frank and George went to get their horses from the spot where they'd tied them up overnight; George told Frank that Frank had 2 horses. Frank's horse had had a colt. The colt slowed them down quite a bit. A couple of days later, Frank and George were traveling across flat land when a big wind came up and blew sand into their eyes. This slowed them down again because the colt couldn't run against so much wind. George suggested that they shoot the colt, but Frank felt sorry for it because it was pretty fast and came from a line of big horses. Luckily, they came to some shrubs, where they found water and some respite from the wind while they rested. Then they moved on and kept traveling, even by moonlight, until they came to a river about the size of the Torysa River back home. They heard a dog barking somewhere nearby. They took the road that went along the river for about 2 miles and heard the dog again. They went through the shrubs that grew near the river and found a meadow with haystacks. They left their horses in the meadow and camped out a little further. George slept with a gun that could shoot 14 bullets and Frank had a big revolver.

    • Claudia Medvik
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 2008
        Just as a footnote on the gold fever, when gold was found in Calif
        every ship in San Fransico harbor was abandoned by their crews
        who jumped ship to look for gold. Hundreds of vessals were
        abandoned. That's how that ship's captain got so far ashore...

        Helen, did any of these stories comment on the size of this
        country seeming so vast?

        Claudia

        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.comFrom: hfed@...: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:13:40 -0400Subject: [Slovak-World] The further adventures of Frank and George

        Frank went back to working on the ship and was joined by George Patzka, who'd returned. They worked together all fall and winter. Once, when they were in a saloon, they met an Englishman whom Frank knew well from back in his days of working at the saloon. At one point, the Englishman had spent 2 years in the mountains working in gold mines, where he made $10,000. He went from one town to another, spending his money bigtime. When Frank was still working at the saloon, the Englishman would spend $12-20 each time he came in, treating those he knew and those he didn't, because the $10,000 was easy come--easy go. The Englishman said he was going back into the mountains to look for silver and gold mines, and invited Frank and George to come with him. He said he'd be going back to the same place where he made his $10,000 in 2 years. So at the end of April 1889, Frank and George quit working on the ship, bought themselves horses, and went to Spokane, Washington.From Spokane, they went to another town 186 miles away and bought equipment and food for 4 months. They came to the spot they were looking for and found 4 places where they found ore. The named all 4 of these places and went into town to register them. There was an old man [in town?] who'd been a captain on sailing ships and who had 2 good claims. He took the fellows to his claims and they took him to theirs. Now they were 4 in their group, with 6 claims among them.About 200 miles from the claims was a town that burned down, with $15 million in damage. Frank and George decided to go to this town to look for work and come back to their claims in the spring. The old captain stayed at the claims all winter, while the young Englishman went off in one direction, and Frank and George went off to the town that had burned down. They went to the shack they'd built at the claim and greased all their equipment with bear fat before wrapping it in deerskin. They buried it in the ground, inside the shack, and boarded up the door and window.Two days earlier, Frank and George went to get their horses from the spot where they'd tied them up overnight; George told Frank that Frank had 2 horses. Frank's horse had had a colt. The colt slowed them down quite a bit. A couple of days later, Frank and George were traveling across flat land when a big wind came up and blew sand into their eyes. This slowed them down again because the colt couldn't run against so much wind. George suggested that they shoot the colt, but Frank felt sorry for it because it was pretty fast and came from a line of big horses. Luckily, they came to some shrubs, where they found water and some respite from the wind while they rested. Then they moved on and kept traveling, even by moonlight, until they came to a river about the size of the Torysa River back home. They heard a dog barking somewhere nearby. They took the road that went along the river for about 2 miles and heard the dog again. They went through the shrubs that grew near the river and found a meadow with haystacks. They left their horses in the meadow and camped out a little further. George slept with a gun that could shoot 14 bullets and Frank had a big revolver.H

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 30, 2008
          I've tried to include Frank's mentions of distances and travel times. I don't think there have been too many statements along the lines of "Wow, this country is so big!"

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.comFrom: hfed@...: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:13:40 -0400Subject: [Slovak-World] The further adventures of Frank and George

[...]

        • maxine
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2008
            Hi Helen, first I would like to thank you so much for the Frank Book. I want to copy this. Do you have it on a long sheet or do I have to copy it e-mail by e-mail. Terrific job and appreciate your efforts. maxine sasala

            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.comFrom: hfed@...: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:13:40 -0400Subject: [Slovak-World] The further adventures of Frank and George

[...]

          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 30, 2008
              At 10:06 AM 31/10/2008, you wrote:

              >Hi Helen, first I would like to thank you so much for the Frank
              >Book. I want to copy this. Do you have it on a long sheet or do I
              >have to copy it e-mail by e-mail. Terrific job and appreciate your efforts.

              Helen , ditto from me as well. If you do have it all in one lot will
              you please send it direct to me? I find it fascinating.
              regards
              Nick
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
                You're welcome, Maxine. I write a bit a day and send it out, without keeping it all in one place.

                Again, please keep in mind that this is just a summary, not a real translation.

                To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.comFrom: hfed@...: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:13:40 -0400Subject: [Slovak-World] The further adventures of Frank and George

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
                  You're welcome too, Nick. See my reply to Maxine's email.

                  >>> Nick Holcz <nickh@...> 10/30/2008 9:56 PM >>>
                  At 10:06 AM 31/10/2008, you wrote:

                  >Hi Helen, first I would like to thank you so much for the Frank
                  >Book. I want to copy this. Do you have it on a long sheet or do I
                  >have to copy it e-mail by e-mail. Terrific job and appreciate your efforts.

                  Helen , ditto from me as well. If you do have it all in one lot will
                  you please send it direct to me? I find it fascinating.
                  regards
                  Nick
                • Ron Matviyak
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
                    Nick,

                    Perhaps the easiest way to assemble the whole of the story is to go to
                    your Yahoo Web page http://groups.yahoo.com and sign in with your
                    password. Call up Slovak-World and click on any of the messages in
                    the story thread. Scroll down and you should see the entire chain of
                    posts.

                    If the posts were not submitted as a chain, then you can do a search
                    for a topic, and might try "Frank and George" or "adventures" to
                    narrow down the various postings. I believe Helen has been consistent
                    with the titles.

                    Ron
                    - and Helen, many thanks, it is great to have you send us these
                    fascinating summaries! -

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
                      Sorry to say that Helen hasn't been consistent with the titles, but it's pretty obvious that each one is about the book.