Re: [Slovak-World] Slovaks visit US visa-free from Nov. 17

  • Lil Junas
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
      Am glad that finally most Slovaks will be able to travel to the U.S. without
      a visa, BUT I don't agree that students will still need one. Why are we
      making it more difficult for young people to come here to study for a few
      months or a year?
      Lil

      On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

      > Slovaks will be able to travel to the US without a visa beginning Nov. 17:
      >
      > <http://tinyurl.com/6a7npm>
      >
      > The person will have to be a holder of a biometric passport. Slovakia
      > began to issue them in January 2008. About 300,000 have been issued
      > so far. People with older passports will need a visa or get a new
      > passport. People with biometric passports will need to register
      > online for visa-free travel:
      >
      > <http://tinyurl.com/585kj4>
      >
      > The approval should come back immediately, or in up to 3 days. It
      > will then be valid for 2 years. Each visa-free visit will have to be
      > no longer than 90 days. The visitor will have to leave North America
      > before s/he can return (a trip to Canada or Mexico will not do). The
      > visitor will not be allowed to work or study in the U.S., people will
      > still need a visa to do that legally.
      >

      > Martin

      "To be nobody but myself."
      www.ljunas.com

    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
        Lil,

        Perhaps the question should be "why have we required student visas
        historically?" What I learned in meeting the embassy staff to get
        visas for my own 18 & 21 year old visitors, young people from overseas
        have always been the most likely to overstay their visa time. Older
        people do not present the same problem.

        I presume that is a good part of why student visas are required. When
        my visitors left the country they carefully assured their visas were
        turned in so they would not be counted as overstaying their time -
        that action could bar them from returning.

        Ron

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Lil Junas" <povetzlil@...> wrote:

        > Am glad that finally most Slovaks will be able to travel to the U.S.
        without> a visa, BUT I don't agree that students will still need one.
        Why are we> making it more difficult for young people to come here to
        study for a few> months or a year?
        > Lil

      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
          > I don't agree that students will still need one. Why are we
          > making it more difficult for young people to come here to
          > study for a few months or a year?

          The complaint would need to be taken up with the United Nations, Lil,
          not with Washington. Visa-free travel between countries that have
          visa-free arrangements is always limited to about 3 months everywhere
          in the world. Americans going to study in Slovakia or anywhere else
          need a visa, too, even Canada needs to issue them with a permit.

          This is not the case only inside the European Union, but that's a
          completely exceptional and very new arrangement. And while the
          Europeans don't need a visa to move to another country inside the EU,
          they need to register with the police, etc., if they want to become
          residents. The EU arrangement is an effort to take it closer to a
          United States of Europe, not a more liberal visa policy towards outsiders.

          Martin
        • Jim Downs
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
            Well said, Martin.

          • fbican@att.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
              Ahoj, Lil--

              I don't understand it, either. For what it's worth, my dad's US Army entrance papers during WWII (long since lost) were stamped with a big "PS", meaning "possible subversive" because his mother was born in Bratislava. I have his honorable discharge papers from his service in France & Germany during the war. I think dad destroyed his entrance papers because he hated the designation.

              I can't imagine why any student would have to jump through hoops to come to the USA for an education. It's beyond me.

              Laskavy prosim,

              Skeeter

              -------------- Original message from "Lil Junas" <povetzlil@...>: --------------

              Am glad that finally most Slovaks will be able to travel to the U.S. without
              a visa, BUT I don't agree that students will still need one. Why are we
              making it more difficult for young people to come here to study for a few
              months or a year?
              Lil

              On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

              > Slovaks will be able to travel to the US without a visa beginning Nov. 17:
              >
              > <http://tinyurl.com/6a7npm>
              >
              > The person will have to be a holder of a biometric passport. Slovakia
              > began to issue them in January 2008. About 300,000 have been issued
              > so far. People with older passports will need a visa or get a new
              > passport. People with biometric passports will need to register
              > online for visa-free travel:
              >
              > <http://tinyurl.com/585kj4>
              >
              > The approval should come back immediately, or in up to 3 days. It
              > will then be valid for 2 years. Each visa-free visit will have to be
              > no longer than 90 days. The visitor will have to leave North America
              > before s/he can return (a trip to Canada or Mexico will not do). The
              > visitor will not be allowed to work or study in the U.S., people will
              > still need a visa to do that legally.
              >

              > Martin

              "To be nobody but myself."
              www.ljunas.com

            • Gergely
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 29, 2008
                Uh folks - those were "students" who drove the airplanes into the World Trade Centers.
                Jack Gergely
                Newport News

                I don't understand it, either. For what it's worth, my dad's US Army entrance papers during WWII (long since lost) were stamped with a big "PS", meaning "possible subversive" because his mother was born in Bratislava. I have his honorable discharge papers from his service in France & Germany during the war. I think dad destroyed his entrance papers because he hated the designation.

                I can't imagine why any student would have to jump through hoops to come to the USA for an education. It's beyond me.

                Laskavy prosim,

                Skeeter

                -------------- Original message from "Lil Junas" <povetzlil@...>: --------------

                Am glad that finally most Slovaks will be able to travel to the U.S. without
                a visa, BUT I don't agree that students will still need one. Why are we
                making it more difficult for young people to come here to study for a few
                months or a year?
                Lil

                On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Martin Votruba <votrubam@...> wrote:

                > Slovaks will be able to travel to the US without a visa beginning Nov. 17:
                >
                > <http://tinyurl.com/6a7npm>
                >
                > The person will have to be a holder of a biometric passport. Slovakia
                > began to issue them in January 2008. About 300,000 have been issued
                > so far. People with older passports will need a visa or get a new
                > passport. People with biometric passports will need to register
                > online for visa-free travel:
                >
                > <http://tinyurl.com/585kj4>
                >
                > The approval should come back immediately, or in up to 3 days. It
                > will then be valid for 2 years. Each visa-free visit will have to be
                > no longer than 90 days. The visitor will have to leave North America
                > before s/he can return (a trip to Canada or Mexico will not do). The
                > visitor will not be allowed to work or study in the U.S., people will
                > still need a visa to do that legally.
                >

                > Martin

                "To be nobody but myself."
                www.ljunas.com