(Fairly) new Slovak book

    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2003
      I saw an interesting Slovak book the other day that had just come into
      the library where I work (the book's not cataloged yet). It's all about
      mills and millers. "Zamucene historie: Rudolf Kulich o mlynoch a
      mlynaroch" by Rudolf Kulich, Budmerice: Vydavatelstvo Rak, 2002, is a
      also beautiful book, with lots of old pictures. The only other library
      that I can find has it is the University of Pittsburgh. The publishing
      house Rak (or RAK) is apparently quite highly regarded; the couple of
      its other books I've seen are beautiful to look at too (no feel of
      cheapness about them).

      Helen
    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2003
        the very first book i read about Slovakia was called "Granny" and was written
        some time ago by the author Bozena Nemcova. it was the most fascinating book
        as it described walks through the woods, what the forest trees ooked like,
        the flowers and all of the animals. it seemed to just be a delight to
        imagine the times it was written in. it was the first time i had ever heard
        the word "weir" mentioned and had to use a dictionary to learn what it was.
        it was written a long time ago and used most of their terms.
        you can get it by requesting it at the local library if they belong to a
        chain.
        Noreen
      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2003
          Got some news for you. Bozena Nemcova was a Czech writer and the story was
          about Czechs and not Slovaks at all.

          Vladi

          At 06:16 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
          >the very first book i read about Slovakia was called "Granny" and was written
          >some time ago by the author Bozena Nemcova. it was the most fascinating book
          >as it described walks through the woods, what the forest trees ooked like,
          >the flowers and all of the animals. it seemed to just be a delight to
          >imagine the times it was written in. it was the first time i had ever heard
          >the word "weir" mentioned and had to use a dictionary to learn what it was.
          >it was written a long time ago and used most of their terms.
          >you can get it by requesting it at the local library if they belong to a
          >chain.
          >Noreen
          >
          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705103562:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>18fbde8.jpg
          >18fbe06.jpg

        • Gergely
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2003
            You would think that someone who has such a poor command of a language he
            has spoken and written for over 30 years would not be so quick to criticize
            people who are engaged in a literary learning experience.

            Jack Gergely
            Newport News

          • nhasior@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2003
              Jack,
              my friend's grandmother had some china and some canisters for flour and sugar
              etc. that were stamped "Made in Czechoslovakia". my grandparents obituaries
              read that they were from Czechoslovakia. that they were survived by
              brothers and sisters living in Czechoslovakia. until very recently, our
              family and our heritage were not really concerned with which side of the
              country they came from. Not technically, they considered themselves
              Austrian citizens of Czechoslovakian heritage. but i love the fact that on
              the census, they write Slovakland. i think that they would be so proud of
              the fact that Slovak Republic is finally on its own.
              Noreen
            • Vladimir Linder
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2003
                You got it all wrong. I wasn't criticizing at all. But when someone refers
                to it, as about Slovakia? Well it is not.

                So what is your problem then?

              • Vladimir Linder
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2003
                  Frankly Scarlet...Jacko from Newport News??? Wow!!!

                  If you will have at least half of such a command of Slovak language after
                  30 years as I have of English, I will congratulate you.

                  In the mean time TAKE HIKE OF A STEEP CLIFF as you have no clue what you
                  are talking about.

                  Vladi