Re: Selleck (was: Back to Portland)

  • arusm
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 24, 2008
      I think that his name was spelled as Salak and his ancestors were
      really Carpatho-Rusyn and they came from Rusyn area situated in north-
      eastern Slovakia. There lived and live many Salak families in area of
      town Medzilaborce. I think that Salak became Selleck there in
      America. Robert was very uncommon name even for non Rusyn community
      in area of eastern Slovakia, so I think that his father changed his
      original name to Robert.

      Mick /Kosice, Slovakia/ arusm at yahoo.com

      > Would the name have been spelled Selec, Selets, etc.? And what
      would a
      > rough equivalent of Robert be? It could have been something we
      wouldn't
      > necessarily think of. A Ukrainian friend of mine once told me that
      > Ukrainian woman named Yaroslawa (or something similar) often changed
      > their name in this country to Geraldine.

      > 57 Sellecks come up on Ellis Island; however, none list the village
      or
      > country (I'll admit I haven't opened any up, just looked at the
      initial
      > hit list), only destination cities here in the US -- none in
      Detroit --