Re: [Slovak-World] Re: quick revisit: industry in Slovakia (well, Czech Rep)

  • Margo Smith
    Message 1 of 63 , Oct 23, 2008
      In Flanders, you don't see much in the way of "woods" (as you define them below) --- but in Wallonia, in the south, we drove through lots of forested areas.

      Long ago, when I was a relatively new bride, my husband's Slovak grandfather entranced me with his tales of growing up in Kal'amenova, a village towards the south end of the Turiec Valley.  From his village, he could see the ruins of a castle on the mountainside.  So I was determined to visit those ruins on my first trip to Slovakia.  From Vricko to Klastor pod Znievom to Moskovec to Kal'amenova to Polerieka, I scanned the hillside with my binoculars.  No ruins visible.  How could this be.  On my 3rd trip, my host and I took off on foot, hiking up the mountainside from Klastor.  Yes, the ruins are there, but they are no longer visible from the valley floor -- and the valley is barely visible from the ruins.  In the 100 years since Grandpa had left Kal'amenova, the spruce forest had grown up and obscured the ruins.  (If you are curious, google Zniev and look at photos of the ruins.)

      Margo

      From: Julie Michutka <jmm@pathbridge. net>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Saturday, October 18, 2008, 10:14 PM

      I wonder what they mean by "best preserved"-- most extensive and in

      best condition, ie "best maintained"? But if "preserved" in the sense

      of "old, in something akin to original condition", I would wonder,

      since so many of those forested hillsides, at least in "my" neck of

      the woods, were well-logged 100 years ago, and I think I read that

      there's even a different mix of trees growing now vs before. One of

      the oldest trees (so they say) in Europe is in the boundaries of my

      g'parents' village, some 400 years old I think. That would argue

      against forests that are old or original. Or am I generalizing too

      much from my own meager knowledge?

      This is not to argue about WWF's ranking, and I'm thrilled to hear it;

      I'm just wondering what they mean.

      As an American, reading too many novels with a romantic picture of old

      Europe, I always envisioned vast forests. Quite a surprise when I

      first went to (western) Europe. In fact, we once had a Belgian grad

      student working with us, and we took her to my parents' one weekend,

      in rural Michigan. She was surprised to see what we call "woods", you

      know, 20 or 40 acres of trees periodically dotting the countryside.

      She said they have no woods in Belgium. That was an eye-opener for

      me. So we spent the afternoon out in the woods.

      I did find those romantic forests in Slovakia, tho' :)

      Julie Michutka

      jmm@pathbridge. net

      On Oct 18, 2008, at 9:00 PM, Martin Votruba wrote:

      > WWF has ranked

      > Slovakia's forests among the best preserved in Europe (after

      > Switzerland and Finland, ahead of Sweden and Austria)

      Do You Yahoo!?
      http://mail. yahoo.com

    • Margo Smith
      Message 63 of 63 , Oct 23, 2008