Funny little slovak reference...

  • Scott T. Mikusko
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2003
      Last night on PBS here in the Bay Area, they repeated an episode of
      Nature called "Journey of Man". It's about the latest theory of the
      origins of modern humans that journeyed out of Africa and went on to
      migrate to Eurasia, Austrialia, and the Americas. Through DNA analysis,
      they argue that all modern peoples migrated out of East Africa about
      50,000 years ago, making it to the Americas about 15,000 years ago. It's
      a very interesting finding.

      Anyways, at the end of the show, the scientist was making a point about
      how we are all related in some ways, and how race as we usually define is
      pretty meaningless. At the end they had a number of people talking to the
      camera and describing their ethnic background, sort of like:

      "I'm American Indian, English, and French"

      "I'm African, Irish, and native Cuban"

      "I'm Chinese on my dad's side, and Italian-Greek on my mom's"

      "I'm half Welsh and Egyptian."

      Then the last person was this very beautiful blonde-haired, blue-eye young
      woman who said in her Eastern European accent, "I'm Slovakian. That's it."
      with a smile.

      I had to cheer! "yay!! Dobre! Dobre! :)

      Pure bloods are fine, but thank goodness for hybrid vigour. We're all
      family in the end.

      -Scott
      Slovak-Irish, with a hint of Italian.