Re: Industry in Slovakia

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 66 , Oct 4, 2008
      > that PCB levels in the Slovak human population
      > are higher than those found in other countries.

      Activists with good intentions sometimes put things in a meaningless
      way. The same thing can be said about almost anything in almost any
      country in the world. "PCB levels in the Slovak human population are
      lower than those..." must be equally true unless Slovakia is #1 or #2
      in PCBs, just like it is both true that "The US has more palm trees
      than other countries," and "The US has fewer palm trees than other
      countries.

      Also, instead of misstating things as "it has been documented that PCB
      levels in the Slovak human population *are* higher," (my highlight)
      the activists should say "_were_ higher in 1989/1990," because they
      always quote data only from that year, i.e., 6 years after the PCB
      production was stopped. It would be interesting to hear what those
      levels are now, 24 years later. A major international project
      sponsored by the U.N. Industrial Development Organization to clean
      things up, initiated and partly coordinated by the activists, has been
      under way.

      The PCB issue is considered serious in Slovakia. The research the
      report refers to so poorly showed that the contamination concerns the
      area around Strazske, that the ground levels of PCBs are higher
      elsewhere in eastern Slovakia as the contamination spread, and that it
      affected the local destination for vacationers, the Zemplinska Sirava
      dam. As to population, about 250,000 are estimated to have absorbed
      more than enough of them. Fishermen around Michalovce had about 12.3
      mg PCBs/kg-of-fat and the general population there 4.2 at the time
      communism collapsed (1989/1990), which compared to, e.g., 1.7 in
      Martin and 4.8 in Bratislava at the same time.

      Martin
    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 66 of 66 , Dec 1, 2009
        Hi Greg - I would love to try that Kolace!

        i am sending you the contact for the Colorado Slovak newsletter in another e mail  - I have a dozen members from Colorado .

        helene